Best removeable tonneau cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djscheele

Reaction score
Hey guys...suggestions...I just bought a 10ft Kayak and looking for best way to haul it in back of my Raptor...I have a LoMax Tonneau cover (tri fold,similar to BakFlip)...and also have the Ford bed extenders....Brought it home with cover flipped back to middle and rested it on top of bed extender,secured with bungee cords...Was wondering if anyone knows of a Rack that would go on TOP of the cover...or in the bed for a more secure way of carrying it..like the THULE products....have not been able to find anything and was thinking a tailgate extender that goes in the hitch...
Anyone hauling Kayaks or Canoes...?

I carry two 10ft kayaks, rest them on top of the tailgate side by side with two ratchet straps crossed diagonally and two more from the end of the kayak to the tow hooks on the bumper. I am able to leave the bakflip 1/3 closed this way. Everything stays still but I am thinking of moving to a roof rack setup to clear bed space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, nothing works with the Bak covers to go on top of them since they fold up to open. So you couldn’t open the cover with cross-bars installed.

Retractable covers will work because you can open the cover without interfering with the rails, but you do have the canister in the bed.

The Retrax XR or Pace Edwards UltraGroove series covers would work for you and allow to use Thule or Yakima bars to mount your kayak. Happy to go over options and pricing with you on those if you’re interested.
THANKS Nick....I kind of figured that,problem is I already have a cover on it and dont want to buy a new cover just to haul a Kayak 3-4 times a year...so guess I'll just open the bed extenders and strap it in... :)

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry two 10ft kayaks, rest them on top of the tailgate side by side with two ratchet straps crossed diagonally and two more from the end of the kayak to the tow hooks on the bumper. I am able to leave the bakflip 1/3 closed this way. Everything stays still but I am thinking of moving to a roof rack setup to clear bed space.

THANKS Discheele.!! Yep...thats exactly how I got mine home...picked up a $500 Kayak with tags still on it for $125 at a yard sale I passed and that was the only way to get it home...I kind of figured due to the tri-fold lid my only option was mount a roof rack on cab,but since I only need 3-4 times a year and dont like the look of roof rakcs on cab....will be doing it your way..!! Happy Kayaking!

djscheele

Reaction score
a5a52e66618a4495decd2e706682b1ae.jpg9f57ddcd6e34b5be88748de97f42fbf1.jpg

Thought about this thread when I had them loaded today. We traveled 3hrs interstate like this no movement. Works great with the bakflip. There is room for two of the 24 gal action packer boxes against the tailgate as well