Best Intercooler for Stock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like the whipple & mishimoto are right around the same price. Wonder if there's anything tangibly better on 1 over the other? I know a while back there were quality issues on some of the mishimoto stuff in the Japanese car crowd, but I think was more on their radiators & could also have been chinese knock off fakes running around...anyone know where the whipple is made?

I like that the mishimoto comes in black

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What temperature do you specifically want to monitor to gauge the effectiveness of an IC? On my gauge cluster I can monitor Intake Air Temperature and Manifold Charge Temperature. I'm sure there are probably a few more on the Accessport, but I have not gone thru them yet.

Last edited:

Chris_S

Reaction score
Mishimoto also has some replacement hot/cold side intercooler pipes that may work on the Whipple also. Would make the install less 'stealth' though.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like the whipple & mishimoto are right around the same price. Wonder if there's anything tangibly better on 1 over the other? I know a while back there were quality issues on some of the mishimoto stuff in the Japanese car crowd, but I think was more on their radiators & could also have been chinese knock off fakes running around...anyone know where the whipple is made?

I had a black perrin front mount on my STI when I lived in MA and the black didnt make it 1 winter without looking like shit.

Chris_S

Reaction score
What temperature do you specifically want to monitor to gauge the effectiveness of an IC? On my gauge cluster I can monitor Intake Air Temperature and Manifold Charge Temperature. I'm sure there are probably a few more on the Accessport, but I have not gone thru them yet.

I am under the impression that the better the intercooling system, the less difference there is between Manifold Charge temp and Intake Air temp.

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Let us know if we can help getting anyone setup. We have a few options including Mishimoto. We have a few silvers and 1 black left in stock right now

CVF-Jason

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is there an option for Charge Air Temperature? Different systems (Cobb AP, nGauge, FORscan) use different names for similar parameters (generally you can Google which means what on what system you're using).

It is also significantly more effective to measure this on the street - not on dyno. You also want to push the vehicle a bit (run it up to higher MPH / gear)

On our tests we used apples-to-apples variables (both the OEM unit and ours on the same stretch of road, within an hour of each other) and observed the rise in Intake Air Temp. (the parameter for Charge Air Temp. on that particular system) to monitor the effectiveness of our unit - you want temps. to stay as close to ambient as possible.

Last edited:

CVF-Jason

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Our next batch will come in black as well as our standard silver! As xrocket21 said, though, it can get messy in the winter.

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my Mishimoto IC yesterday. It wasn't too bad of an install, and clean (no trimming). I did need two extra tools, a floor jack and my GF to operate it.

I am going to get some performance numbers on my Cobb Stage 1, and then do the same with the Stage 2 map.