Best Intercooler for Stock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly, that’s why I asked in the first place hopefully someone will be able to help out with an answer I would love to remove them for the above reasons but not without first making sure it won’t cause issues down the line
That condensation buildup issue was a real problem for Ford up until they added these shutters. Since they have been on these, there have been no more complaints for that issue really. I think if you remove them, you are asking for trouble.

Gcode450

Reaction score
I removed the shutters when I installed the Whipple IC. I just couldn't get the IC to fit with the shutters in.

Over 10k with Whipple and no issues.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
the CVF unit does not have a drain, however i’ve had zero issues

and you won’t, because the sasquatch77 perpetuated myth that the 2017+ Raptor had the same issue was an unsubstantiated lie, now almost 4 years into the model run, we have long term proof that chick was just a Ruskie troll. She actually had some doubters here back when she was preaching the weep hole nonsense. Now she mostly hangs out and comments on the intercooler threads and cam phaser threads.

RW17FX4

Reaction score
in my opinion there is a reason nobody else is selling cores’s that thick. in a little bit of research it appeared that frontal surface area is more important that core thickness, that a core thickness too large and maybe not ideally suited for the motor/turbocharges per say can cause boost response issues etc. i’ve also been lead to believe that the cooling efficiency on a core that thick will becoming increasingly less the deeper into core you go (airflow from the front towards the rear) , i’m not very well versed in CAC but just wanted to pass along what i’ve read

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My CV Fab IC has been “out for delivery” since yesterday.

Excited to get it installed and Cobb Stage 2 94 OTS map flashed as well. Gonna flash the Cobb TCM tune as well.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
in my opinion there is a reason nobody else is selling cores’s that thick. in a little bit of research it appeared that frontal surface area is more important that core thickness, that a core thickness too large and maybe not ideally suited for the motor/turbocharges per say can cause boost response issues etc. i’ve also been lead to believe that the cooling efficiency on a core that thick will becoming increasingly less the deeper into core you go (airflow from the front towards the rear) , i’m not very well versed in CAC but just wanted to pass along what i’ve read
You would be correct - the reason why the FMICs will perform better than the stock replacements is due to size. Not volume, but physical size, the height of the core is actually the most important dimension. In heat exchangers, they are most efficient with the highest temp differential, the hotter the air going into the inlet of the IC vs the cooler the ambient air hitting the IC. As the air moves through the IC, the core becomes less efficient as the air is being cooled so by the time the air gets to the outlet of the IC, it is at it's least efficient point. Now back to why a taller IC is preferred - when that hot air FIRST enters the IC, is where we need the most surface area so being tall is where it's at.

If you have 2 ICs that were the same exact volume and frontal surface area, but one was very tall and the other was thin and long, the tall one will win every time. Now of course if the inlet/outlets were on top and bottom, you would want a wider intercooler vs a taller one.

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Good info thanks guys

I'd also be very concerned if anything other than a stock bumper would work. I know the ADD Pro Bolt On has you remove the stock louvers, so I don't know if there would be enough room for both