Bed Tie-Down Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here are a couple quick shots of how I'm doing it with the straps:

strap0.png

strap1.png

strap2.png

strap3.png

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan/Macgyver , that would actually be a great idea. You have all the links to mount things on (tons of configurations) and like you said, no noise since you have the bedrug. Can't believe i didn't think of this...its GENIUS! What are you going to use to connect it to the tie down? i'm thinking a small strong D-ring.

I like the idea of coated chain as long as it's strong enough. And to connect to the four tie-downs I was thinking of using a locking heavy-duty steel loop with threaded closure. This is a picture of a locking carabiner which is similar - I just can't find the picture of the steel loop (available in SS too) with threaded closure.

F2X7P35FAKWPIC1.MEDIUM.jpg

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of the reasons I like the idea of chains connecting the four tie-down loops is because you (I) can use this type of "web" cargo net. It's pretty versatile and will work with large items like camping gear which should be tied down when offroading.

Just another option. I've used these before and they work well. The only headache can be untangling the hooks.

cargonet1_475%5B1%5D.jpg

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MacGyver'd it

This afternoon I went to Lowes to check out their 2 aisles of hardware. I found some poly coated chain that I liked - they had three different versions of it - green, white and yellow. It's only $0.54 per foot and it'll handle about 250 pounds (I forget the exact number) but since we're not lifting with this chain that should be plenty.

I didn't measure the distance between the tie down loops so I winged it and bought two 7' lengths for the sides and a 6' length for across the front. I knew that'd be more than enough and I was right.

I also purchased four connectors that are a single loop with and straight section that unscrews open and screws closed (securely). It too has plenty of strength for the job.

Installation was about 5 minutes. You can see all the extra chain. I'm going to leave it (in the two front corners) because it might actually come in handy to have additional play in the chain as it could make it easier to use.

I plan on using bungees and tie-down straps by connecting them to the chain. I'll also use the web cargo net I have. I'll let you know how well it works. Right now it looks like a good solution that is made better by the low cost - about $15 (estimated).

Here's the connecting link attached to the tie-down loop with two lengths of white chain attached to it:

IMG_2169.jpg

Pic of right rear tie-down loop near the tailgate behind the Bed Extender:

IMG_2172.jpg

You can see the right side of the bed with the chain running from the tie-down loop on the right near the tailgate (behind the Bed Extender in my Raptor) up over the wheel well up to the right front tie-down loop. You can also see the extra length of chain:

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

Close up of the connector:

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Dan, that looks like a good solution and cheap too! Rep points for that. :D :D :D

Just kidding!

And I'm wondering what you guys think?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In theory I like the idea Dan. But in practice I think its gonna be problematic. After having used my ratcheting straps now several times, its just too easy to loosen them up, stick whatever I need to stick along the sides, then ratchet down to snug them up. With a chain, I think you're always going to be a bit too tight or a bit too loose.

Also, the chain itself concerns me. The strap is soft nylon. A chain, not so much. Over time, I have to believe the chain will wear on whatever you're storing (in my case, gas cans) and wear the item and/or the chain.

I can see how it will really work for your spider netting though. But, I can also see how it would be easy to enhance the ratchet strap idea a bit to enable the same functionality.

Hey, you asked :) But seriously, I dig the concept. I just wonder if there's a slightly better approach.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the chain should be tighter between the factory tie-downs.

Alternates:
You can always use nylon rope and tie multiple eyes throughout the length of it (between the factory tie downs), then use the eyes as multiple tie-down points. The only problem is the line will stretch. A ratchet strap would work if there were pencil sized holes burned through the center of the strap creating more tie-down points but I am sure this will cause a degradation in the strength of the webbing. The only other thing I can think of is running 2 x 4's so that eye screws can be placed in it creating more tie down points but they would all be on the floor.

-----Nothing Follows-----

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regarding how to get multiple eyes... I'm thinking of trying bits of nylon rope tied at various points along the ratchet strap. Then if I need to move them, just untie and retie.

Knots like the bowline:
lh1pst.gif

Or the double figure of 8
lhdub81.gif

Either of those should quickly and easily do the trick.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the chain should be tighter between the factory tie-downs.

I can make it a bit tighter but a bit loose like that allows the chain to rise up some which I think will help since I carry a number of tall tote boxes (plastic containers) on our camping trip/expeditions. In any case the chain can be tighter. I don't see how straps are as convenient but that's obvious or I would've gone with them.

The intention of the chain is to use it to provide tie-down points. I'm not planning on using the chain to hold stuff down just to tie into it. Maybe it sounds better in theory and you guys (Jason at least) "get it" better than me but I think the chain should work fine. BTW, I don't carry gas cans by themselves - mine is in a plastic container.

Hey, do we need to worry more about static electricity because of the Bedrug? Or is it not any more of an issue than the steel box?

This brainstorming stuff is fun - I just had yet another idea that I'll share with you...

Slotted Angle! (Angle = 'L' shape)

Run a piece of slotted angle along the side walls (can connect to the sidewall using the existing tie down loops). Take a look at the upper piece of slotted angle in the picture. It's 'L' shape has a long leg and a short leg. The long leg of the slotted angle could be flat against the side wall of the bed box and the short leg of the slotted angle would be horizontal running along the side wall of the bed. You can hook into the slotted angle almost anywhere with bungees or nylon ratchet straps (Jason's favorite :D ) or the web (not my favorite but an option ;) ).

The slotted angle isn't very heavy, it's strong and quite durable and available in galvanized versions.

Slotted%20Angle%20ORIGINAL.jpg

Whatya think about that?

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great Ideas guys. As far as the tensioners go, I have a couple of Ideas. Using a medium weight low stretch nylon line, these Items are the bomb.

View attachment 35 View attachment 36

You can't believe how tight they grip.

http://tinyurl.com/yfygeyn

Whoa... just hit a limit on pictures.

Can we get an honorary promotion for expatriates from the "Z" on pic quotas BigJ? Hate to do the "multi-post" thing, but here we go. <G>