Bed Stabilizer Idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Berky

Reaction score
I have the Bakflip F1 and on a few occasions off road it has come unlatched. I was thinking of building a removable support that spans across the top of the bed at the back by the tail gate.

I have seen the supports that attach the bed sides to the floor, and I could copy that design but I would prefer not to have anything attached to the floor of the bed as I use it often. I know that if I support the tops of the bed I would prevent the bed sides from bowing. Do you think this idea would work as long as the tailgate is installed and up?

Red circle would be the mount point and the yellow bar would be the support that spans the bed.
F150009jpgoriginal_zps5100aff2.jpg

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think it would be enough to prevent the cover from coming undone but it wouldn't stabilize the bed as well.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Bakflip F1 and on a few occasions off road it has come unlatched. I was thinking of building a removable support that spans across the top of the bed at the back by the tail gate.

I have seen the supports that attach the bed sides to the floor, and I could copy that design but I would prefer not to have anything attached to the floor of the bed as I use it often. I know that if I support the tops of the bed I would prevent the bed sides from bowing. Do you think this idea would work as long as the tailgate is installed and up?

Red circle would be the mount point and the yellow bar would be the support that spans the bed.
F150009jpgoriginal_zps5100aff2.jpg

It works, and very well, made 2 and installed on friends trucks, great support even without a tailgate, tailgate just adds , nice thing is you can slide things in and out of the bed without removing it, both trucks are super duties used to hall building supplies, one down fall with no tailgate, with enough weight shifting to the left or right in time can and will pull the bed to the left or right, one side follows the other,but takes a while and alot of weight to do so.

OP
OP
Berky

Berky

Reaction score
Thanks J Damage,

My tailgate will always be on so I guess I don't have to worry about any bed lean. My plan is to build this with Heim joints at each end, like a really long turnbuckle, and make a 3rd mount further up the side of the bed. This way when it is not in use I will swing it to the side and lock it in place.

Rookie,

I know its not the best option for strength, but based on the two comments, it will work for my intended use. I read that someone was using D rings and a tie down strap, but it didn't work well for them. I'm thinking it was due to stretching on the nylon.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks J Damage,

My tailgate will always be on so I guess I don't have to worry about any bed lean. My plan is to build this with Heim joints at each end, like a really long turnbuckle, and make a 3rd mount further up the side of the bed. This way when it is not in use I will swing it to the side and lock it in place.

Rookie,

I know its not the best option for strength, but based on the two comments, it will work for my intended use. I read that someone was using D rings and a tie down strap, but it didn't work well for them. I'm thinking it was due to stretching on the nylon.

Berky, I used 3/8 heim joints, right and left hand threads, so the can be adjusted in place, one truck I used 3/4 aluminum hex stock, drilled and taped right and left hand, the other I used a piece of 3/4 chromoly tubing with weld in threaded bungs also right and left handed. And used rolbar tabs welded to flat plate , bolted to each side of bed for the bar to mount.

OP
OP
Berky

Berky

Reaction score
I am going to use the 3/8 RH/LH Heims with the weld in bungs. My shop has thick and thin wall tubing. I was thinking the thin wall would work, but im not sure. I have a tendency of overbuilding things.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to use the 3/8 RH/LH Heims with the weld in bungs. My shop has thick and thin wall tubing. I was thinking the thin wall would work, but im not sure. I have a tendency of overbuilding things.[/QUOTE

1/8 is more than enough, you won't need to go 1/4 or heavier.

OP
OP
Berky

Berky

Reaction score
they have what appears to be 1/16 and 1/8 wall. I was only thinking of using the smaller one because of weight.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they have what appears to be 1/16 and 1/8 wall. I was only thinking of using the smaller one because of weight.

Huck is correct, just measured the left over peice i have, .083 wall, left over from panhard bars I was making for a couple cars.

Last edited: