bed cover advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisJTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd for BakFlip MX4. Go to realtruck.com, get in a chat with a rep, ask them for FRF member discount...you will not be disappointed.
Dang wish i would have known... btw dont get the bac storage, its crap imo...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yipekiye

Reaction score
I did the Ford branded roll up cover from the dealer.

Pluses: Ford Service installed it, bed is completely exposed and since the cover rolls up over the top of the bed rails, there is no loss of storage the way you get with a canister system. It looks great when closed and locks with the locking tailgate. When it is fully rolled up, you get a cool,Ford Logo visible.

Cons: since it doesn’t go into a canister, you have to manually clip it down with straps every time you change it. There is no good way to leave the box partially open, it is either all the way open or all the way closed. There is a large lever near the tailgate that helps orient the closing of the unit. This is likely to get bumped from time to time. It also interferes with the Amp bed extender, which was my next upgrade.

OP
OP
C

cain072567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love the diamondback cover, not sure on looks, but looks the best built i have seen to date.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of the Roll-X and the new version. Having said that, BAK has replaced mine twice. I bought the first one in 2013 when the truck was new. The first cover had glue failing on the vinyl top and the felt underneath within 9 months. BAK replaced it with an updated version. About 12 months later the felt failed under the second one. BAK sold me a Revolver X2 (updated Roll-X) for like half price. Just this weekend I noticed that the glue holding the felt failed again.

I really like the functionality and style of this BAK cover. On the second one I cleaned the glue off. Found a very high temp contact cement, and re-felted it. That glue failed quicker than the BAK glue. I see that they now see a $39 kit with new felt and glue strips to repair.

I am surprised at how well the vinyl top has held up in Phoenix. The current cover is about 2 years old and it still looks like new. I do have a 3 year warranty on the X2 so it's time to call BAK again.

OP
OP
C

cain072567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have time or the patience to be fixing crap all the time, why i am leaning towards diamondback cover

silverworx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Undercover Ultra Flex and like it a lot. I looked at Retrax but wasn't a fan of how the system ages. The hard cover three flip suited my lifestyle the best. I am constantly opening/closing and sit on it when surf fishing or hangout at the beach. I'm a huge fan.

I agree with Traveller66. I keep all my items in plastic bins with covers.

*update: another reason i went with undercover was b/c you can flip all the way up and it does not lean on the truck when held up with the supports.

Great to hear they are very sturdy. My brother is needing one for his F150. Seen a few good deals on bakflip, access, and undercover flex tonneau cover and been lookin' for good reviews. Undercover ultra and bakflip mx4 are great choices. He might let her wife decide.

salts001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to hear they are very sturdy. My brother is needing one for his F150. Seen a few good deals on bakflip, access, and undercover flex tonneau cover and been lookin' for good reviews. Undercover ultra and bakflip mx4 are great choices. He might let her wife decide.

Very slight variance between the two even down to the latches and seals. Same parent company Truck Hero... he won’t be disappointed either way.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The biggest thing about bed covers is that you're always going to have a sacrifice to make. You just have to figure out which sacrifices you're okay wit or affect you the least.

You're first setup is a hard folding cover. Our most popular is the Bak MX4. It's a strong, matte black aluminized cover. It's well built, well priced and does not sacrifice any bed space. If you need to move it, you can two hand screws and that's it. The only con is that when the cover is all the way open, it does block visibility out of your back window.

The other popular style of cover is the retracting covers. Our most popular is the Retrax PRO MX. These are another strong cover and look very sharp. You can get them in a manual folding or electric version (Powertrax). They are a bit more expensive option. They do allow you to fully open the cover and not lose visibility out of your back window, but you will have a canister in your bed that takes up roughly 11" of bed space.

The third popular option is the rolling cover that rolls back on top of the factory bed rails. Our most popular is the Bak Revolver x4. This is a another quality well made cover and features aluminum slats with a vinyl top that roll back over and are secured at the back of the bed towards the cab. The only drawback to this setup is that you do have a soft cover over the aluminum, so it's a little less strong than the other two options.

I'm happy to offer you pricing on any of the above so please don't hesitate to reach out if you have additional questions or would like more information.

Hope this helps with your selection!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc