Battery and Alternator Experts Please Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coder

Reaction score
I had a battery with 2 out of 3 diodes bad (water in the alternator can do this), but the overall output still tested fine. Then when each diode was tested individually the truth came out. What will happen is the alternator will struggle to make the necessary amps when needed.

You might want to take it to a shop that rebuilds alternators, talk it out of the truck and have them do a thorough test.

OP
OP
mike.s

mike.s

Reaction score
Well after 6 months, my battery drain problem has been solved. I didn't rush to get it fixed, since the truck worked fine as long as I drove it every day. It only had problems if I didn't drive for a couple days.

Anyways, it turns out the positive terminal on the alternator was making contact with my Whipple Supercharger. The supercharger had to be removed, trim down the terminal, and then re-install the supercharger. Cost me $500 to have it fixed, but at least I don't have to worry about the battery dying on me anymore.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you see the terminal easily under the SC?

I guess I should take a look this weekend, I need to swap out my tensioner, damn thing is chirping like a twetty bird and only a year old.

OP
OP
mike.s

mike.s

Reaction score
No, I couldn't see it. One thing that sucks when you have a Whipple supercharger, if you have any alternator issues, it becomes a big ordeal.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tell me about it, I had to have the alternator replaced two times in 500 miles because I tried the aftermarket belt tensioner from Thumper Racing.