Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread - GEN 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend you go ahead and buy a set of clear spot lenses for the Squadrons too. You may find that with the S1 and SAE, you don't need any more wide pattern light that the d/c throws and want more down the road from a full spot. The flexibility and easy swap is just one of the advantages of BD kit.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What is your goal with the S1 wide cornering? It's not going to have a significant amount of light over the SAE. I think what Speeddeacon and I said is about the same, where the S1s are almost pointless to have since you're not going to run with them on in lieu of the Squadron SAE. If anything, spots for the S1 but Squadron Spots, Driving/Combos and Squadron SAE would be a better setup

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve so far settled on 1 each - SAE, s Pro combo, s pro spot. I’m thinking I may swap out the spot for combo and run 2x combos, and 1x SAE. The lights are low enough that it’s a chore to aim them so they are level and I didn’t notice a whole lot of difference between the combo and spot distance wise, but the combos create a little wider throw pattern that helps up close. If I go to the extra combo set up front I may consider some pillar mounts, maybe some xl80s. I’ve got an s8 that pushes out pretty far. I’m sure not as far as a focused spot, but quite nice.

I like your thinking. Getting the spots up higher on the a-pillar will help them throw down road more effectively for sure. Fog pockets for spots limit them since you can't really aim them high enough but I found the d/c were even worse illuminating down road. The distance was the same, but there was much more light far out with spot compared to d/c, as there should be with twice as much light being directed out to distance. A pillar mounted spots aren't much use for on road though, even if one were so inclined to run anything but SAE on the road.

My current setup is 2 pair S pro spot in the fog pockets and OnX6+ in w/c in the lower grill. I did it this way because the position of the lower grill allows less restriction to the wide angle light pattern. The spots throw well forward so the side cutoff of the angled bumper doesn't come into play like it does with w/c. It's one high output and cohesive driving combo. Of note, I have the FRL bezels in the fog pockets which restricts more than the open mounts. It works well for me, but I'm thinking I may replace one of the the pro spots with an SAE so I can use it on road in good faith.

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you change out the lenses on the S1’s? Would an S1 spot be effective down in the bumper? One reason I was going to go with the wide cornering. I have read some mixed feedback.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can you change out the lenses on the S1’s? Would an S1 spot be effective down in the bumper? One reason I was going to go with the wide cornering. I have read some mixed feedback.

Yes you can. We actually stock the S1 lenses (as well as every other lens/bezel Baja makes). Customers are always changing lenses out OR they want to bring new life to their lights (it's amazing what a new set of lenses after a few years of use will do for you)

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you can. We actually stock the S1 lenses (as well as every other lens/bezel Baja makes). Customers are always changing lenses out OR they want to bring new life to their lights (it's amazing what a new set of lenses after a few years of use will do for you)

You’ve got S1 anything in stock? Prove it.

5171CDA9-973B-48D3-A48C-5865E360DCF3.jpeg

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would an S1 spot be effective down in the bumper? One reason I was going to go with the wide cornering.

Not as effective as a Squadron.

You need to ask yourself appropriate questions and let the answers dictate what you buy. This can save you money by not buying more than you really need, which is particularly true with BD since they are at the top of the price pyramid. Just because there are three light kits out there doesn't mean you need three different lights.

The appropriate questions are what you want the lights to accomplish. Do you just want to fill the empty fog pockets so it looks good and throw some light out to boot or do you have specific goals you want to achieve? Those goals could be to improve side of the road illumination, improve inclement condition visibility (fog/dust/snow) or improve down road visibility. Do you plan to use them off road or only on the street? Once you answer these questions honestly, figure out how to best accomplish them. That's where these forums can be really helpful. The vendors here are particularly knowledgeable and can guide you well (I am not a vendor). The SAE and the S1 are new BD products so not many of us have experience with them, but the basic rules still apply.

I found the stock LEDs on my Raptor to have poor side illumination near field and not spectacular far illumination either. I have a place in the mountains and they do a really poor job of providing visibility in the dark twisty mountain roads. All of my other cars have adaptive lights (swivel with steering wheel angle input) and this truck really needs it! So my goal was to improve side of the road near field illumination as well as some down range lumens. When I bought my setup, Rigid was the only SAE available but it isn't the same quality or effectiveness as BD, so I chose to use BD anyway. 90+% of my night driving is in town and I never turn them on because they are extremely bright to oncoming traffic. I am considering a pair of SAE so I can actually use them more often. I have 2k in lighting that I rarely use. When I do use it, however, they do accomplish what I set out to accomplish.

For on road use only, then SAE is what you need to build upon as a base. That covers wide cornering and you probably won't need anything else to illuminate the sides of the road in front of you but you won't know until you try really. The main reason to add an S1 over any Squadron is for a space restriction. FRL commissioned them to fill the small cutout of their triple bezel. I don't know how effective it is at illuminating the side of the road but they will shoot you straight if you ask them. I would start with a triple light mounting bracket and a pair of SAE for w/c duties and on road use. If you do drive where there is no oncoming traffic, then add a second pair of Squadron in spot (or driving combo if SAE doesn't provide enough lateral illumination for you) for situations where you don't have oncoming traffic and feel you need more light. Then, since you have a triple mount bracket, you can fill in any deficiencies you feel you have with a 3rd pair.

If you off road and need more long range illumination, then A-pillar mounts with spots of some variety would be most effective.

I hope this helps and gives you some more to ponder.

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Speeddeacon that’s a good write and something I can understand. Not that most everyone else hasn’t contributed in many ways.

The factory headlights are decently bright, but they suffer from some small problems as you have noted. I’m going to use this truck on the street on a regular basis, and getting the light I feel that is needed for this 1st priority on my list. Many of the off road adventures are yet to be determined. But I can see a need for extra side and some distance in mountain areas or flat to hilly dirt roads. Again on road is the higher priority.

So a pair of Squadron SAE’s are dead on top of my list. Will Squadron Sports driving combo not suffice for limited on road and off road use? I’d go Pro and really light it up, but then I would never be able to use them on road I know.

So in truth are a third pair of lights other than having them installed right now for looks and play a waste? Maybe so. I know it’s not always how good you feel, but how good you look lol. But what would I use for my purpose now in that 3rd pair? Not much left for street use unless I went amber lens. Or get something specialized later on for off road, but still may only get limited use.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the finished look of FRL tri bezel. But I can see the limitations it has. Again the lights aren’t cheap, but there not something I have to mortgage. Sooner or later you just pull the trigger on what you think is best for you and you try it out after you have done the research and listened to good advice. I also know I’m buying into a couple of newer products that are not widely installed yet.

Thanks

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Speeddeacon that’s a good write and something I can understand. Not that most everyone else hasn’t contributed in many ways.

The factory headlights are decently bright, but they suffer from some small problems as you have noted. I’m going to use this truck on the street on a regular basis, and getting the light I feel that is needed for this 1st priority on my list. Many of the off road adventures are yet to be determined. But I can see a need for extra side and some distance in mountain areas or flat to hilly dirt roads. Again on road is the higher priority.

So a pair of Squadron SAE’s are dead on top of my list. Will Squadron Sports driving combo not suffice for limited on road and off road use? I’d go Pro and really light it up, but then I would never be able to use them on road I know.

So in truth are a third pair of lights other than having them installed right now for looks and play a waste? Maybe so. I know it’s not always how good you feel, but how good you look lol. But what would I use for my purpose now in that 3rd pair? Not much left for street use unless I went amber lens. Or get something specialized later on for off road, but still may only get limited use.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the finished look of FRL tri bezel. But I can see the limitations it has. Again the lights aren’t cheap, but there not something I have to mortgage. Sooner or later you just pull the trigger on what you think is best for you and you try it out after you have done the research and listened to good advice. I also know I’m buying into a couple of newer products that are not widely installed yet.

Thanks

Even though the Squadron Sport is lot as bright as the Pro, I would definitely not recommend the Driving/Combo pattern for street use. The Spot Lenses on top will be blinding to oncoming traffic because of the beam pattern. Any Driving/Combo pattern would be for off-road or back-road (ie. no traffic) use.

With where you are on the kit, I would go with either of these options:

Squadron Pro Driving/Combo
Squadron SAE
S1 Amber Wide

OR

Squadron Sport Driving/Combo
Squadron SAE
S1 Amber Wide

Also, if you want to go with the bezel kit, but don't want to add the smaller light (S1), then you can opt for the 2-light bezel kit and just add one pair of SAE and one pair of Squadron Pro/Sport Driving/Combo.