Back Road to Crown King

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brusso99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What an adventure.. Video coming soon.

Took this route from Lake Pleasant to Crown King. Which is an extremely small town with a small main street, all dirt and only accessible via about three ways in all on dirt.

We took the hardest of them which is more a Jeep Trail. The Raptor is Ginormous on this trail and now at just 2500 miles we have the scars to prove it. I should have listened but i have not convinced myself that the Raptor is not a jeep, but bigger in fact than an H1.

It was miles and miles of technical trail driving in thick brush, I'll admit for a half mile or so, i keep getting out to hack brush with a machete. When avoiding brush caused me to take a bad line and drop the passenger side truck steep on a rock scuffing up the bottom and slightly bending the mount i abandoned that plan. The result was front to back AZ pinstripe both side and some on the roof! Even the rear light covers have scratches in them, AZ cats claw cuts anything!

So I am conflicted, on one hand, no one forced me to buy black and hell i plan on using the truck as intended! but on the other hand scratches this early in the game suck and i wonder long term what this truck is going to look like!

Damage Report

Hit the front skids a few times, scraped to bare metal in some places and some scrapes on the lower control arm aluminum.

AZ Pinstripes

Two chunks out of of one stock wheel rim.

Running board scraped underside and mount arms bent slightly.

Some chunks out of the tires, one large block missing on the edge. I hate these tires! These tires dont hold up.

The town is a fun place. I dont know that this was worth it.. the return was via the dirt road to I-17 through Cleator. This is a Raptor Road! open, fast, Baja Style.

I would make another run I-17 through Cleator to Crown King then Senator Hwy to Prescott. This was what i wanted to do, but i thought if back road seemed like a bad idea then i could turn back. not happening, the raptor makes you do things! trust me!

It was a fun day, but I'm a little down over the damage, not that much but enough to suck the fun out.. I would love your thoughts about tires and getting the paint repaired or if i should just leave it..

I was thinking about painting the skid plate. I think its coated so now that metal is showing, might be a good project. (suggestions)

on the way in we saw a new Chevy spray caned military tan, my wife was saying why would you do that.. I am starting to get the idea!

I honestly don't recommend this trail, unless you just dont care.. then it was worth being able to say you brought this beast though!

New Ford Raptor :pokeowned: Crown King Back Road!

Thanks
Brett

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, at least somewhat. You're braver than me, I'm ok with the occasional branch scratching down the side of my truck, but if the trail gets tight I turn around and go somewhere else.

AZ will still get ya one way or another though, I ran over a piece of driftwood in a wash and it came straight up and slapped my truck on the door and put a small dent and scuff in it.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could wet sand all the scratches out unless they are more like gouges instead of scratches. I did this year's ago on my black F250 after hitting some very narrow trails. It restored the paint to mint condition if not better!

Dave

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I've been thinking about putting some clear bra on the front and sides of the truck.

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering the clear plastidip just for this reason.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to go that route just color match linex your entire truck. If you do the premium linex it has a glossy uv coat that really looks nice. Plus it will last forever and is dam near indestructible!

Dave

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Line x quoted me 4k for.the whole job. Ill be painting.my whole truck duplicolor bed liner.with kevlar. Painted my scoop and.grill and.retrax pro nice texture and has uv protection too

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Tapatalk 2

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Line x quoted me 4k for.the whole job. Ill be painting.my whole truck duplicolor bed liner.with kevlar. Painted my scoop and.grill and.retrax pro nice texture and has uv protection too

How does it hold up over time and against scratches and rock dings?

Dave

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score

That is a ballsy play sir, I applaud you for it. 4k is a lot cash so I can see why you're going the DIY route.