Auto stop start and turbos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am a FNG here, but my wife and I have had several Turbo cars the last 20 years. Modern turbos all have after run cooling that keeps oil and in some cases coolant flowing after the car stops. Couple that with full synthetic oil.

I have never waited for a car to cool off before I shut it down, and have never had a turbo related problem.

2000 Audi A6 2.7 twin turbo - 110,000 miles
2007 Volvo S60 R - 110,000 miles
2004 Mazda cx- 7 - 105,000 miles
2013 Taurus SHO - 3.5 eco boost 40,000 miles
2014 Explorer Sport - 3.5 eco boost 102,000 miles

Now I have an 18 explorer sport, and the raptor. Turbo sludge is not even on my radar.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Mercedes 4 cylinder turbo engine with stop-start technology. I don’t turn it off. Been going for over 40,000 miles since new and zero problems. The system is designed to shut off the engine only when the piston positions, engine temp, and whatever other factors are ideal for a soft restart. It is not the same as the harsh cold start that people are concerned about. In fact, start-stop doesn’t work if your engine isn’t warmed up.

I have 5k miles on the Raptor. I’m not concerned about the start-stop tech. It saves fuel when idling so it’s based on drive time vs. miles driven. These youtube “experts” who tell you it’s gimmicky are just speculating. They haven’t provided one ounce of evidence of premature wear on engine or parts due to this tech. The only annoying thing is the AC stop working when the engine is stopped, but that’s what heated/cooled seats are for, right?

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sport mode always,very heavy footed and I’m avg 13.4 . 92 oct.my concern was with premature wear failure of starter.
The starter is specifically designed for it and the rest of the system is also designed to avoid a hard start. It barely cranks before turning on from an auto stop. A normal starter wouldn’t last. Again, everyone claiming that it’s a gimmick hasn’t provided any evidence to support premature wear. After over 40,000 miles of auto start-stop in my 2012 4-banger, the starter still works like new. I’m not concerned about premature wear in the Raptor.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The EU and UK vehicles have been auto stop/start for at least 9 years now. I had a buddy in Paris take my wife and I on a sight seeing tour. he had a bmw manual transmission diesel that automatically stopped and restarted. I don’t think it was rolled out to every model or manufacturer about that time frame because our rental from a couple years earlier didn’t have it.