Auto stop start and turbos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mystic201

Reaction score
Hi everyone new member here with 2019 on the way. I was thinking about the auto stop start feature and spinning turbos does anyone know how hard this feature is on the turbos. I was always taught to not shut an engine down with a turbo right after running it. Thoughts?

Todd458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I remember that. I’m sure it wouldn’t be harmful to the engine though. I’m sure there’s a system in place to prevent any damage

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that was old technology, don't have to worry about that anymore. turbo cooling and oil tech has come a long way since then.

remember when you had to pump the gas pedal several times to get your car to start? don't have to do that anymore either.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that was old technology, don't have to worry about that anymore. turbo cooling and oil tech has come a long way since then.

remember when you had to pump the gas pedal several times to get your car to start? don't have to do that anymore either.

Pretty ******* post, bro. It's a valid question. Does the truck circulate oil when it auto stops?

Remember, new technology isn't always better.

Carbon-Buildup.jpg

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ecoboost turbos are cooled by the both the coolant and engine oil. When you turn the engine off fresh coolant is continuously moved through the system by convection until lower temps are reached. Basically truck off = turbos still being cooled.

The old turbos you are thinking off (like from older cars or some diesels) were cooled by engine oil ONLY and so yes with those you did need to leave the engine on for a bit to cool them down.

Zero need for an extended idle time before turning the truck off. I would disable start/stop though dumb feature imo.

evo9rockstar

Reaction score
I don't trust it because I also was thought not to shut down the motor after running it hard. First thing I do when starting it is push that stupid button. Let's be real here........ If you own a Raptor you most likely don't give a crap about saving fuel.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as I could I got FORScan and disabled Auto Start/Stop. I'd recommend you do the same...then you don't have to worry about your turbos. And then it doesn't matter if it is old tech or new tech or anything else. Just get rid of it.