August 4th Reno/NorCal Raptor run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So as I stated in my post regarding hanging with Nv Guy, we would like to get some of you fine people up to the Reno area and go play in the dirt and do some exploring.

The run we have in mind is the run he and I did last Saturday, which took about 2 hours, then take the group and travel about (according to Google Google Maps ) 26 pavement miles to the next section- The Pony Express trail.
Right near the Pony Express trail head is an area with picnic tables (and shade) so that might be nice spot to eat some lunch. Then we hit the Pony Express trail. The trail guide book says it's about 27 miles long, so depending on everyone's mood, we could either turn around & re- run it back to where we started or hit Hwy 95 back into Fallon & then into Reno (I'll be voting to re-run, more dirt the better).

So the details so far (and these are flexible):

Who: Anyone and everyone with a Raptor or anything that they think can keep up with a Raptor. :)

What: Playing in the dirt, FRF member meet and greet.

When: August 4th 10am

Where: Either Cabelas or the SafeWay Bob and I topped off at. (Address with be provided once this is figured out)

Why: Why not? A clean, pavement pounding Raptor, is an abused Raptor.

Since some of the members I have talked to already are coming from a good distance, the thinking is to find some cheap hotel rooms (Which isn't hard to find in Reno) and stay the night, especially since this run sounds like it'll be a better part of the day and it will give us some face time with member's we get to know behind a keyboard.

So let me know who is in and let me know if anyone has any suggestions, especially from the guys that have organized a run/meet and greet like this.

Hopefully this is a first of many runs/meets in the Reno/NorCal area, even some trail running and camping in the near future (BigJ's got great ideas :waytogo:)

-Jeff

Going: (I'll post up the members that are in as I see replies)
- Nv Guy
- Vanilla_Gorilla
- BigJ
- Iceman302
- Boss327
- Puddle Hunter
- SVTCALI
- MB RAP
- cups
- RPG
- RaptorAddict
- Metalmoto79
- nosbusa

Maybe:
- Raptor_Al_41

Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
So this is going to be a one day event Vanilla?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Word, If you guys plan a multi-day event I'll be there for sure. I need a good excuse to get up and hang with you guys.

Not to hijack, but I'm thinking about planning a trip down to Devil's Highway from Ajo to Yuma in November. I think it'll be a 2 day thing.

Can't wait to hear the post-run stories and see the pics!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great stuff Vanilla! I'm in.

aaron, I'm sorta kinda thinking of building onto this event and adding in some camping after we finish up with the Pony Express, and then a morning run Sunday before heading back to the South Bay. I need to do some research, but if you're interested in that part and can make it this time, I'll start checking into stuff.

OP
OP
vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Word, If you guys plan a multi-day event I'll be there for sure. I need a good excuse to get up and hang with you guys.

Not to hijack, but I'm thinking about planning a trip down to Devil's Highway from Ajo to Yuma in November. I think it'll be a 2 day thing.

Can't wait to hear the post-run stories and see the pics!

For sure Arrons, i'm totally hoping we can spin this into something that goes once a quarter, and gets into day and multi day trips. I also want to run aroun in your area and SoCal...i have officially been bitten by the off-roading bug!

Great stuff Vanilla! I'm in.

aaron, I'm sorta kinda thinking of building onto this event and adding in some camping after we finish up with the Pony Express, and then a morning run Sunday before heading back to the South Bay. I need to do some research, but if you're interested in that part and can make it this time, I'll start checking into stuff.

Hmmm....sounds tempting BigJ!!! If the wife comes with me, can't say i'd camp, but I could meet for some more fun in the dirt Sunday morning. But i'd be down for a camping trip up in the Reno area, SOON! Sounds like a great time!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Come on Greg, sack up and make the 1800mile drive! :ROFLJest:

vanilla, any guess at what time we'd hit where the PE meets up with 95? I'm totally guessing here, but does between 2 and 3pm sound reasonable? And then if we do the PE back, maybe a couple more hours after that we'd be in Reno? Just trying to get a guess at how much daylight we might have to get into somewhere, and have left to set up camp. It might just be easier to hit a hotel Saturday night too, especially if some of you guys plan to hang out for a bit that night. Might be fun to bend an elbow or two with ya for a while.

Last edited: