Are leaky valve stems covered under warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I started losing about a pound a day last week. Pulled the wheel today and it's the base of the valve stem. It wasn't too hard to find it once I spayed everything, it bubbled in less than a minute. I've never seen how the TPMS is assembled, I'm assuming the valve stem can just be screwed out and replaced? Thanks.

1638139288349.jpeg

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as I know, the valve stem is pulled through the back of the rim and had a tight seal in the back.

1638277297836.jpeg

The TPMS sensor is screwed into the valve.

You could try gently pulling on the valve - maybe it’s not seated.

Or replace the valve and screw the original sensor in.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you hand wiggle the valve stem did it leak worse?

My first thought would be loose valve stem core, but based on your leak detection I does look like most is around the base.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran the wheel to the dealer and they pulled it apart and replaced the stem under warranty. I'm assuming some bad stems got out. I had a snow plowing guy here yesterday that I hired for the season, he has a '20 Explorer ST with 6,000 miles. He just got done having a leaky valve stem replaced also. At least it's a super easy fix.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valves stems leak sometimes. Cheap and easy fix with no drama. On my track setup I have them do the rebuilds when a new set of rubber get mounted but then again, it sees much higher temps and stress. Don’t want to loose air while pushing 150’s