Anyone see the Ford oil consumption warnings this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Was this just faulty valve covers from the supplier, or is there some kind of problem with the way the valve cover was made?
I was told by my advisor that it was a design issue. The pvc was too large or some thing and was redesigned. I listed the parts some where after I had the new parts installed. On a side note I seem to get about 1.5 MPG better with the new covers with the same driving.

Edit: read post #88

Booth9999

Reaction score
I'm really glad I found this thread. I posted the below today under 2019 oil consumption.

My build date is 2/20/19 which falls within the TSB 19-2232 date of April 2019

Well I noticed around approximately 2,000 miles was a little low from the top hash marks on the dipstick so I wasn't to worried and I was about 2 1/2 quarts low on oil, rough estimate, when I changed the oil at 5,000 miles.

It never went into limp mode and as far as I know I never got any warning messages.

I started watching the oil level real close and there wasn't any loss at 6,200 miles at about 7,200 miles I added about 5 to 6 ounces of oil to bring it to the top of the hash marks where it was when I did the oil change.

I just checked it again today at 9,865 miles I had to add 1 1/2 quarts to bring it back up to where it was on the first oil change.

I know the manual states the the High Performance can burn oil up to about 7,500 miles.

But I'm at 9,865 so I don't know if I might have an issue. I hope not.

I did drive it pretty hard about two weeks prior when a group of us went to the car show.

I have researched a lot on this topic here and elsewhere.

I don't think it's normal to burn any oil but I'm not sure if this should be expected from this engine.

P.S. I'm definitely consuming more the 1 quart in 3,000 miles as stated in the 19-2232 TSB as I've consumed approximately 30 oz. In 2,365 miles.

I'll contact the Dealer tomorrow.
Read my post #88 no oil consumption issues since.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Read my post #88 no oil consumption issues since.

I did read your post and I posted this as stated in another post that I had started so I just copied and pasted it in this post.

I know that the valve covers solved your issue and didn't understand why the Ford Advisor was telling me if it consumed more than a quart in 3,000 miles that they would replace the engine.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
From what I understand it wasn't a design issue, it was a manufacturing issue at the supplier. It seems that some are affected and others have no issue even regardless of model year; I have a friend with an early '17 that he runs very hard and he only uses 0.5-1qt between 5K oil changes. So it seems that all vehicles are not affected, which means there was inconsistent quality at the supplier. So for those who don't experience oil consumption, no need to worry. You either have bad valve covers or you don't, the issue won't show up later.

So why would my Ford Advisor state that after an oil, oil filter change and a different PCV valve then after being monitored that if my engine consumes more than 1 quart in 3,000 miles they would replace the engine?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well guess what?

I just got of the phone with Ford's Service Advisor and told him my issue about oil consumption.

He said bring it in as they have to do a fresh oil change, change the PCV valve and then have monitor the oil consumption.

We discussed the more tha a quart in 3,000 miles decision and that's where I said whaaattt?

I said it is and so if your monitoring shows the same then you have to replace the valve covers correct? NOPE!

Him "We have to change out the engine"

I asked again and he restated same.

I wish I would've asked for the TSB number but I did call back to request it.

I thought I read TSB 19-2232 and it stated to change out the valve covers if it consumes more than a quart in 3,000 miles.

If they do change out my engine I wouldn't think that would hurt my resale value since it's completed by Ford and it may actually increase my resale value as I'll have 10,000 less miles if they do install a new engine.

Thoughts anyone.

I need to go back and reread the TSB 19-2232.

Unfortunately, the majority of Service "advisors" don't know anything and are miserable at their job. They can't even manage to document customer concerns let alone run OASIS and find applicable FSAs, TSBs, SSMs, etc.

There was a TSB for a select number of 5.0 engines within a certain build date that require engine long block replacement. Your "advisor" is probably thinking of that. No such SSM or TSB was ever released for the 3.5 EcoBoost, Raptor or otherwise.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So why would my Ford Advisor state that after an oil, oil filter change and a different PCV valve then after being monitored that if my engine consumes more than 1 quart in 3,000 miles they would replace the engine?

Because the majority of Service "Advisors" have zero technical background and rely on misinformation and heresy. I wish that wasn't the case but it's the unfortunate reality. There are literally Wal-Mart greeters working as "Service Advisors" these days because they apparently can't find qualified people.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was told by my advisor that it was a design issue. The pvc was too large or some thing and was redesigned. I listed the parts some where after I had the new parts installed. On a side note I seem to get about 1.5 MPG better with the new covers with the same driving.

Edit: read post #88

Glad to hear your issue was resolved. Service Advisers exist for 2 reasons...document the customer's concern and explain the repairs to the customer. They are not mechanics, not technicians, and certainly not engineers. Unless they can provide documentation from the manufacturer that supports their theory, be very weary.

Booth9999

Reaction score
View attachment 129280 View attachment 129281 View attachment 129280 View attachment 129280 View attachment 129280 So I thought I would share what I learned. My dealer says it is an issue with the PCs system syphoning oil out, not sure how that works but I now have the new design covers here is the diagnostic info for everyone to preform there own test. My truck had popped a p0365 and a p0369. Any smart guys want to speculate on how this is what it is?

View attachment 129284

View attachment 129285

Glad to hear your issue was resolved. Service Advisers exist for 2 reasons...document the customer's concern and explain the repairs to the customer. They are not mechanics, not technicians, and certainly not engineers. Unless they can provide documentation from the manufacturer that supports their theory, be very weary.
Agreed.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
he majority of Service "Advisors" have zero technical background and rely on misinformation and heresy.

I do hope they’re actually only relying on unsubstantiated information and not actual heresy. I really don’t want to haul an old priest and a young priest when bringing my Raptor in for service. ;-)

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I was hoping not have anything to do with this topic, but here I am. 2019 Raptor, with 3k miles on it. Was driving it the other day, noticed significant loss in power as I accelerated. I would press the gas and the engine would not respond. So I drove home, and the next morning I checked the oil, found that it had barely any in it.

Took it to the dealer, they looked at it, and confirmed it had only 3 quarts in it. They changed the oil, mentioned the TSB from Ford regarding oil consumption on the 2019 EcoBoost engines and said that they will replace the valve cover as per the service bulletin and do an oil change.

So here is what's going to happen;

I will have them change the valve cover, and see if that fixes this issue. If it doesn't, I am taking it back to the dealer to try another fix. If there is no other fix, I am going to lemon that thing and hopefully get my money back.

Not my first rodeo. Had a 2007 GMC Yukon SLT that I bought brand new and had the same exact issue. After going back and forth with GM on this for a year, I finally called a lemon law attorney and they settled for a reasonable amount. However, that was 6 years after I bought the car.

In this case, considering how much I paid for this wonderful truck (which I do truly enjoy driving), the only settlement I'll accept is a full refund or a replacement brand new truck.

will keep you all posted.

Update on my oil consumption issue: So my truck spent 10 days at the dealership, where they performed the procedure recommended by TSB 19-2232 (replaced the valve covers) at 4100 miles. I picked up the truck and everything seemed fine. Now at 5900 miles, again I started noticing reduced power on acceleration. Checked the oil, found it almost empty! Going back to the dealership for round II.

Spoke to Ford Corporate, they were very nice and said if this persists to file a claim for a manufacturer buyback.

I am 2 more dealership visits away from a lemon!! Wish me luck either way.:confused::Angry: