Anyone consider/test drive a TRX, Gen 2 vs. Gen 3 Raptor, and Raptor R?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Humberto80

Reaction score
I currently own a 2020 Raptor, and I had a 2019 prior to that. I've been watching the Gen 3 Raptor closely, and due to the excellent resale and current used Raptor market, I could potentially upgrade without taking a loss. I would definitely get $8k to $10k more than I paid for my current Raptor.

I've found Ram dealers willing to order a TRX for $9k to $10k below MSRP. I haven't checked to see what Ford dealers would order or sell a current inventory Raptor at. I'm guessing the best would be MSRP.

With the Raptor R around the corner, I am considering it as well, but most likely I will be priced out of it. I am hesitant to sell my 2020 considering the great deal that I got on it. I assume the Gen 2 and Gen 3 Raptors will hold their value better than a TRX, so I am probably better off sticking with my Gen 2 if I have any hope of a Raptor R.

Has anyone seriously considered a TRX and purchased a Gen 3 Raptor instead. If so, what ultimately swayed your decision? And if you purchased a TRX or Gen 3, do you plan on getting the Raptor R?

Could you point me to a dealer that will order for below msrp. Thanks.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I said it before, the TRX is becoming the true bargain truck here. Obviously it has to be what you want, but it’s much cheaper in comparison to an R and competitive with a standard Raptor in some cases.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I said it before, the TRX is becoming the true bargain truck here. Obviously it has to be what you want, but it’s much cheaper in comparison to an R and competitive with a standard Raptor in some cases.
My level II TRX had a sticker price of $85,500 and I paid $79,000 for it (this was early 2021 before Koons and other dealers got into the discount game). The Raptor R is going to be one hell of a truck, but at $110,000 before any kind of markup, I don’t see it being that much better than the TRX!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My level II TRX had a sticker price of $85,500 and I paid $79,000 for it (this was early 2021 before Koons and other dealers got into the discount game). The Raptor R is going to be one hell of a truck, but at $110,000 before any kind of markup, I don’t see it being that much better than the TRX!
Ford doesn’t want to sell a lot of these or basically cannot. Who else can pump more trucks out? It could be this engine being hand built is just the limiting factor. Otherwise if the R was competitively priced to the TRX and with that it could still be more expensive, but it would sell sell sell sell and in volume beyond belief. So with all this said, Ford must have decided to price the specimens they do produce super high and make up some extra profit this way. It’s also a possibility they do not want to Canabalize it’s Ecoboost Raptor sales which they can produce in force, if the R was going to cost that much more for the upgraded truck. Maybe they are not worried as Raptor sooner or later will go Hybrid I can imagine. 500HP Eco and 100-200HP in electric motors. Damn thing will have monster TQ.

@melvimbe im curious on your opinion.

hellcat

Reaction score
I currently own a 2020 Raptor, and I had a 2019 prior to that. I've been watching the Gen 3 Raptor closely, and due to the excellent resale and current used Raptor market, I could potentially upgrade without taking a loss. I would definitely get $8k to $10k more than I paid for my current Raptor.

I've found Ram dealers willing to order a TRX for $9k to $10k below MSRP. I haven't checked to see what Ford dealers would order or sell a current inventory Raptor at. I'm guessing the best would be MSRP.

With the Raptor R around the corner, I am considering it as well, but most likely I will be priced out of it. I am hesitant to sell my 2020 considering the great deal that I got on it. I assume the Gen 2 and Gen 3 Raptors will hold their value better than a TRX, so I am probably better off sticking with my Gen 2 if I have any hope of a Raptor R.

Has anyone seriously considered a TRX and purchased a Gen 3 Raptor instead. If so, what ultimately swayed your decision? And if you purchased a TRX or Gen 3, do you plan on getting the Raptor R?
I went from a 21 Gen3, which I think is a wonderful truck to ordering a 23 TRX.
I would have been interested in an R, but a good friend who manages a larger multi brand auto group said they would only be getting I allocation and he said seeing that might be like finding hen’s teeth.
Knowing these toys (TRX & R’s) won’t be around for too much long I don’t plan on
missing the boat, plus a TRX isn’t exactly like settling for less. I have other hellcats and you can’t wipe the smile off your face when ever you drive them!

hellcat

Reaction score
Ford doesn’t want to sell a lot of these or basically cannot. Who else can pump more trucks out? It could be this engine being hand built is just the limiting factor. Otherwise if the R was competitively priced to the TRX and with that it could still be more expensive, but it would sell sell sell sell and in volume beyond belief. So with all this said, Ford must have decided to price the specimens they do produce super high and make up some extra profit this way. It’s also a possibility they do not want to Canabalize it’s Ecoboost Raptor sales which they can produce in force, if the R was going to cost that much more for the upgraded truck. Maybe they are not worried as Raptor sooner or later will go Hybrid I can imagine. 500HP Eco and 100-200HP in electric motors. Damn thing will have monster TQ.

@melvimbe im curious on your opinion.
If you load up a TRX like a R the price difference is almost negligible. MSRP on my 23 was over 103,000 so considering you are getting a loaded 37 at 109,000 isn’t that much of a stretch.

NickyF25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you load up a TRX like a R the price difference is almost negligible. MSRP on my 23 was over 103,000 so considering you are getting a loaded 37 at 109,000 isn’t that much of a stretch.
You can get 9-10k off an ordered TRX from a number of dealers. A loaded R is closer to $114k Even if you add in delivery or flying to pick up TRX and the drive home, difference is closer to $15k+ before ADMs

CityHunter

Reaction score

You can get 9-10k off an ordered TRX from a number of dealers. A loaded R is closer to $115k. So difference is closer to $20k before ADM.
Yeah, realistically speaking, the difference is going to be at minimum $30k+ between the two (if you order a TRX at discount through one of the handful of dealers offering those deals).