another Sync/Nav problem today (2nd time)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HoustonRider

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houston, I saw you posted on the thread I started at SVTOffroad regarding this issue. Did you try Aaron's suggestion on page 1?

well, the FIRST THING Ford told me to do is the get in the fusebox, find the SYNC fuse and pull it.... This was also their suggestion this morning....So I hear Ford doesn't suggest/approve/like to pull a fuse, but they are the Rock Stars that are TELLING me to do it...

I couldn't get to a master reset on the Nav, it wasn't there to push for some reason. No option.

I can disconnect the battery, thats not an issue, but I'm not going to do it until after I visit with Ford in the am and get it as a documented "1st visit".... of the required "3 visits for the same issue" phase of the Texas Lemon Law.

we will see...:********:

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HR...good luck with your lost Media screen.

When the Sync system works, it is very cool and brings smiles to my face. Most of the time though it just ****** me off. Kind of like using Windows for the last 20 years.

I'm trying to remain optimistic that Ford/Microsoft will be forthcoming with updates that will improve system reliability and functionality but so far I see no evidence of that. Still hoping....

My nearly 5 year old Motorola/Giro TuneUps (S805) Bluetooth Headphones work more consistently with my iPhone 4 than the Sync system does. One issue they both have is after a phone call or other interruption you often have to fast forward a song to avoid skipping, popping or stopping altogether.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry to hear about the sync/bluetooth issues. I'm guessing it must be larger dealerships that sublet out audio repairs under warranty? I've always known most ford dealerships (where I work included) handle all warranty regardless unless its body work. Is your vehicle still under its 3/36000. If it is I would have Ford check to see is your APIM(Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is failing causing some of your bluetooth sync issues. Another thing people hate to hear is the Phone on the capatibility chart for all offered features.

http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_1_30.pdf

SYNC | Features for SYNC Mobile, Entertainment, Travel & Directions | Ford.com

I hope one of those two links works to get your to where a phone chart is showing all phones that are capatible and what features may or may not work with your particular phone. Another thing is some of the early 2010 raptors may not have the latest version of sync downloaded on them. I believe sync is at Version 3.03 maybe higher now. Sometimes having a dealership reprogram even with the same version sometimes has also helped with sync issues. I just wanted to throw a couple of ideas out there to maybe help things along. Good Luck!

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 SuperCrew was delivered at Sync Version Gen1 - V3.2.

Sync support has informed me that I am at the latest version and there are no updates.

I tried to run the Sync Status Checker to determine that but it continually would fail. Support informed me that the Status Checker does not work...or maybe will only work if and when there is actually a new version to load...I don't recall the exact wording of their email...just that it completely contradicted the instructions provided on syncmyride for how to perform updates. So for now, don't waste your time trying to get the Status Checker to work.

ok...here is the email response,

"The SYNC Status Checker is a tool that is used for verifying the current software version in the vehicle. It is only used if that data is missing from your SYNC account. You can disregard the SYNC Status Checker tool. According to our records, your vehicle has SYNC version Gen1 - V3.2. This is the newest software available, there is no update needed for your vehicle."

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I had looked into that compatible phones list before I even took delivery. Also the phone compatibility chart just reaffirms my belief that the Sync people need to step up their game...when I see an "updated date" of 10/25/2010 that does little to instill in me a feeling that they are working hard to keep their product current. The only thing that bugs me more than my Sync system not working is when I'm watching TV and I see these Ford Sync ads hyping how awesome things are. Maybe on a Fusion...but then again, maybe not.

Based on posts elsewhere, it appears users with Droids, Blackberrys and iPhones are all experiencing similar issues.

speed45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey HoustonRide. Im a tech at a ford dealership and I literally fix everything with the cars including the SYNC and audio systems. So I wanna shed some light on this subject for you and everyone else. The problems you are having with the system have nothing to do with your navigation or audio system ironically enough. You concern is going to be related to the SYNC software system and module. SYNC is one of the more complex systems in the car and has had issues because it is threaded into so many systems in the vehicle. So when something isnt working right it can affect multiple things in very odd ways. For example I have seen loss of phone connectivity, random songs playing when the car is shut off, touch screen lockup, loss of apps, system settings being loss, excess song index times, songs playing randomly in phones, ect. Now, what does the system consist of? The system relies on the high speed area network (CAN) for module to module communications, the SYNC software, and the all important APIM.( Accessory Protocol Interface Module) Thats it!

So lets simplify this even more. You are currently up to date on the latest SYNC software level......so it cant be a software issue.

Although it is possible to have a wiring issue in a new car, I doubt it applies to your situation for reasons I dont want to get into at this time.

What"s left? The APIM...........The APIM is where the SYNC software is stored and run. If that module isnt operating correctly it will effect everything connected to it like your nav, audio, and phone systems.

Im willing to bet the dealership will have to replace the APIM to correct the issues you are having. Im a no ******** kinda guy and im very confident in my diagnostic abilities. Unfortunately though, not everyone else is like that. The APIM is about $1000, alot of tech's dont want to commit to something that expensive on a warranty and be wrong, so they are gonna try everything else they can think of before replacing it. In addition, there is a Ford prior approval program for all dealerships on SYNC modules which means again they wanna make sure you have exhausted all options before module replacement.

Anyway, lemme know how it goes and if you have any questions just ask.

speed45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another note as well: Ford very rarely claims lemon law on any car, things have to be horrifically bad. The only car I have ever seen get a lemon law claim was a Ford Edge that had smoke pour out of the door panels when you started it up along with multiple modules melting and burning wires up.

I know your probably overwelmed at the moment with the problems your experiencing but your not the first or last to have them. And I can promise they are easily fixable.

OP
OP
HoustonRider

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too many posts.

Whatever he did yesterday worked yesterday and this am. This afternoon it was playing music on an iPod that I finally had to turn off to get it to stop ( and the truck kept playing the iPod song until I turned off the sync). I'll ride it out until I've exhausted all options. I'm sure it can be fixed because it was built.

Lemon law? Ask Nissan why they had to buy my Armada back and write me a check for $12,000 on top of it. They weren't gonna "go the lemon law route" either.

Am I gonna take it in 3-5 times in a week to get em to buy back a truck that I will turn arOund and by the same truck with the same issue? How could that be productive?

OP
OP
HoustonRider

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was built in FEB 2011, and it needed an update. The guy at the dealer told me the CS/Sync reps are clueless to the stuff they have.

Idk. Maybe Ford just doesn't have an answer. And they don't know how to respond.

My 2011 SuperCrew was delivered at Sync Version Gen1 - V3.2.

Sync support has informed me that I am at the latest version and there are no updates.

I tried to run the Sync Status Checker to determine that but it continually would fail. Support informed me that the Status Checker does not work...or maybe will only work if and when there is actually a new version to load...I don't recall the exact wording of their email...just that it completely contradicted the instructions provided on syncmyride for how to perform updates. So for now, don't waste your time trying to get the Status Checker to work.

ok...here is the email response,

"The SYNC Status Checker is a tool that is used for verifying the current software version in the vehicle. It is only used if that data is missing from your SYNC account. You can disregard the SYNC Status Checker tool. According to our records, your vehicle has SYNC version Gen1 - V3.2. This is the newest software available, there is no update needed for your vehicle."

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Speed45- enjoy reading a tech's perspective. Thanks for the insight and I hope you stick around!