All terrain tire help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Happened to me at 12,000. Got me some Nitto Trail Grapplers MT's and have had them for 38,000 miles. About 60-70%.

Glad somebody started the tire thread again, I was afraid to. I've been looking at the Trail Grapplers although the Mud's are the look I really want.
Which one , any tire maker, has the best sidewall protection? That's what i'm worried about?

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LAST FOREVER??? I have 9000 miles on mine and they are 60% done. I have never had any milage from any tire on anything I own. Hummm? Is it the tires or me?

BDRAG

ive heard theres some bad batches of the raptor BFG's and chunking out and stuff really early, but Ford does warranty them. and my old set is probably 4 years old, but with only about 20k miles on them, but they still look brand new!

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
ive heard theres some bad batches of the raptor BFG's and chunking out and stuff really early, but Ford does warranty them. and my old set is probably 4 years old, but with only about 20k miles on them, but they still look brand new!

I've had raptor and non raptor bfgs chunk out on mine. 100% of the problem lies between the steering wheel and the seat.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I've had raptor and non raptor bfgs chunk out on mine. 100% of the problem lies between the steering wheel and the seat.

Ha! So true. I've been driving alot of gravel roads and have to say they eat about any tire I've seen.:driver:

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have first hand experience with toyo mts and nitto trail grapple mts? Which would you recommend?

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score

heheh generally yes, but im going off memory here, and thats not so reliable since its usually pickled pretty good, but i swear it was on here somewhere. Someone had their tires chunking out real bad at like 4-5k miles, took em back to ford and got them all replaced, and then never had the problem again. then a buncha others chimed in having the same thing. i coulda totally dreamed this up in a drunken stupor, but it seems real anyways! :waytogo:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My original bfg's were done by 4500 miles. They were chunked. What really concerned me is I could pull road base gravel out of the tread that had cut its way to the cords. I had a set of bfg's on my 4runner (which saw plenty of off road thrashing), and my bronco which weighs about the same as a Raptor but with more hp (and it too has plenty of off road thrashing) and neither set (with way more miles) looked as bad or had gravel drilling to the cords. The tires were junk. I've been a little easier on my second set of bfg's and with more miles then the first, hardly any chunking and no gravel drilling into the cords.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BFG's on my H2 and didn't chunk for 50k miles. I took it off roading one day and it started chunking around 52k. Some nice ass tires and I'm almost sure I was gassing it way too hard.