Aftermarket Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This could apply to a lot of the aftermarket equipment out there - but when I start reading about CAI's and Exhaust upgrades, it makes me wonder when I read stuff like "improves mpg", "improves hp", "improves backflow" or "improves intake" -
If it was really so easy to do this, why would Ford (or in this case SVT) not just do it at the factory? They have millions of dollars of computer engineering processing at their disposal (and the engineers to go with it), yet a small company like Borla or Kooks can come up with something that works better?

I get the sound improvement part...apparently Ford and GM think we like our V8's to sound like a Camry - but I don't get how someone can come up with a better Intake - or more efficient exhaust - unless of course with these improvements there is a downside that Ford does not want to deal with.

Interested in your thoughts...because I am starting to look around at the stuff I can add to my future Raptor!

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The aftermarket does not have to satisfy a wide target audience like Ford/svt. Everything about the Raptor is a compromise between designers/engineers/legal and everyone else. They had do design a vehicle that was as fuel efficient for the given horsepower. Intake and exhaust was quiet yet had a powerful sound without drone or hurting fuel efficiency. Ford/SVT has to make a vehicle to appeals to everyone. While performance aftermarket only has to worry about performance enthusiast. Who are more likely accept louder intake/exhaust noise and drone. Who are more likely to take care of their vehicles maintenance and not just put the key and drive.

-Greg

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More critical than deciding on design criteria based on "appealing to many people", vehicles must meet many, many requirements for drivability, noise, vibration and harshness (NVH), dependability/reliability, weather, environment, warranty, and all kinds of federal and states regulations. As a result vehicle design is filled with compromise which means there's all kinds of room for aftermarket mods like the ones you see on this forum and others.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More critical than deciding on design criteria based on "appealing to many people", vehicles must meet many, many requirements for drivability, noise, vibration and harshness (NVH), dependability/reliability, weather, environment, warranty, and all kinds of federal and states regulations. As a result vehicle design is filled with compromise which means there's all kinds of room for aftermarket mods like the ones you see on this forum and others.

Thank you Dan that is what I was trying to get across.. The production Raptor is a vehicle of compromise..

-Greg

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well Greg and Dan I couldn't have said it better myself haha but yea aftermarket parts aren't for everyone it's a select few that enjoy the loud throaty sounds and te whisle of a CAI there's a tone of people that won't do anything to their cars r trucks but that doesn't mean there isn't parts out there for them because there is that select few who want to make their car or truck a little fast or a little louder.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
it's mostly emissions. these trucks are choked down from the factory. when you increase performance you most definitely decrease gas mileage and increase emissions gasses.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
haha yea im running mine dumped out the headers no muffler no resonator (my truck didnt come with one) so its stupid loud and lets all the exhaust out into the air haha it smells like GLORY!!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The number one thing that should be done is get a new cat back exhaust. The stock one has to be government compliant for passby noise so it holds a lot of heat. Best thing for any vehicle is a new catback system no matter what vehicle you drive. The reduction of underhood heat is a plus for any vehicle