ADD Intercooler and Relo Kit Compared to Whipple Intercooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After my tune and datalogging I am def in need of an intercooler. Wow those IAT climb quick!
Def the top 2 on my list. Subed for more info on a comparison.
Both companies are really good at what they do and curious as to why each went with a different locations.

Thank you. To answer your questions, we went with one that doesn't require cutting up the grill area. Years passed, you could just unbolt parts and it would fit, but now you have to cut the shutter assembly out. That create's its own issue. The radiator mount version also requires removal of the fans and does somewhat impede flow on the radiator. In some cases, this could promote temp issues for the engine. We do all we can to NOT cut the factory vehicle. But in some cases, customers don't mind. Certainly nothing wrong with the ADD or Full Race, quality products that will do well, just a 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. To answer your questions, we went with one that doesn't require cutting up the grill area. Years passed, you could just unbolt parts and it would fit, but now you have to cut the shutter assembly out. That create's its own issue. The radiator mount version also requires removal of the fans and does somewhat impede flow on the radiator. In some cases, this could promote temp issues for the engine. We do all we can to NOT cut the factory vehicle. But in some cases, customers don't mind. Certainly nothing wrong with the ADD or Full Race, quality products that will do well, just a 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

I am not 100% positive that the shudders are only for cold start and drive I cant see why they are for anything else but cold start and drive since these are tested and developed for whole world sales. I would think taking the shutters out wouldnt be a big deal.. All you would need is a longer warmup before your drive cycle.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not 100% positive that the shudders are only for cold start and drive I cant see why they are for anything else but cold start and drive since these are tested and developed for whole world sales. I would think taking the shutters out wouldnt be a big deal.. All you would need is a longer warmup before your drive cycle.

Cold start woudln't really matter, I was referring to overheat in offroad applications as the radiator struggles to keep up. Blocking the airflow through the radiator no matter what, impedes flow. In some cases its not much so I'm not saying it fails, just stating in general terms.

But the main issue is cutting, we simply don't like to get the saw out if not needed. If you put a winch in the stock IC location, one has no other option to relocate the IC. I was just giving info on why we did what we did.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cold start woudln't really matter, I was referring to overheat in offroad applications as the radiator struggles to keep up. Blocking the airflow through the radiator no matter what, impedes flow. In some cases its not much so I'm not saying it fails, just stating in general terms.

But the main issue is cutting, we simply don't like to get the saw out if not needed. If you put a winch in the stock IC location, one has no other option to relocate the IC. I was just giving info on why we did what we did.

Well ya naturally adding things infront the air flow will reduce the flow I was referring about removing the shudders. Removing them will add a small amount of flow but not enough to justify the relocation of the cooler. Ya cutting on a stock truck is crappy I hate it! lol In off road applications the shudders are fully open so. Be nice to have some data showing temp changes.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score

Shudders on the intercooler or radiator? The shudders in front of the intercooler are to prevent moisture buildup inside.

Last edited:

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Whipple thanks for the response. Clears up why y'all went with the factory location.
So what's y'alls take on the moisture build up and what to do to prevent and expell it?
Also super awesome of yall to offer the group buy. If I didn't already have all that except the intercooler I would be all over that.
I just the intercooler now. My IAT were at around 100 and with a 5th gear pull from 2000 rpm to redlines my IAT climbed to around 170-175. And ambient air was 82. Pretty eye opening.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As an FYI, my current car (MK7 Golf R) has the radiator behind the AC condenser and the intercooler from the factory. The order is AC -> Intercooler -> Radiator. Lots of cars have full size intercoolers that stack in front of the radiator. Air flows pretty freely through them, and the intercooler doesn't get hot, it generally stays cool to the touch - in fact the AC condenser is MUCH hotter when the AC is running.

tl;dr - the relocation of the full race IC will not make a measurable difference in cooling for the radiator or the engine compartment.