Adaptive cruise in traffic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshuak172

Reaction score
Would anyone with a decent commute care to comment on how well the adaptive cruise works in traffic?

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the speed. Works really well on the highway will small changes in speed from the car in front of you. Does not work well around 35 mph when people are slowing down quickly or stopping at lights.

Grey03

Reaction score
Works well. I drive about 34 miles one way to work with most of it freeway. I set the gap to the second setting. With the longer stopping distance of this truck I like to have a little more room to stop. I have a '17 Lincoln Mkz with the stop and go adaptive cruise. The Lincoln system is better because it will go all the way to zero. The Raptor's will not. For everyday driving on the freeway unless you come to a complete stop you can't tell the difference.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am still getting used to it. In light to moderate traffic it’s fine. In moderate to heavy traffic it can be more trouble than it’s worth. My context for this was I95 South on a Saturday. Admittedly, this is probably not the use case Ford had in mind, because you have way too many people from MA, CT, NY, NJ & MD fleeing to civilization and you have the refugee transplants from the above states who moved here thinking that it was ok to drive here, like they drove in occupied America. You leave a car length and some impatient alpha hotel will try to squeeze their vehicle into it.

When this happens inside the adaptive cruise gap, the truck drops anchor with prejudice. Almost spilt my mocha.

With a lower level of chaos and traffic and it works great, especially when the traffic begins to “accordion” due to some long gone incident or merging traffic or whatever.

You just have to get used to its behavior.

jikjak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn, i thought we would have stop and go functionality as well. :(

OP
OP
J

Joshuak172

Reaction score
I'm thinking the lack of full speed may be a show stopper for me. I drive 50 miles to DC every day and have gotten pretty used to full speed range adaptive cruise in our other cars. Thoughts?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking the lack of full speed may be a show stopper for me. I drive 50 miles to DC every day and have gotten pretty used to full speed range adaptive cruise in our other cars. Thoughts?

Raptor's adaptive cruise is great on road trips, not so good in rush hour.

Reaction score
I use it everyday with a 30 mile commute one way. On the way home it's heavy traffic and I think it works great. It will kick off at 8mph and beep at you to let you know it shut down. The only thing that might trip you up is the curves. if you have the speed set high it'll lose the car in front of you on certain curves and speed up when you normally wouldn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter