Adaptive cruise in traffic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe on the stop and go you are able to just push the accelerator and it will resume speed after you have been stopped for more than a few seconds also. This is the way our Escalade is and my daughters SRT Jeep is. My 18 Raptor does not have stop and go so I cant say for sure.

Sam

braptorin

Reaction score
My 19 has stop and go...but it isn't true hands off. If you come to a complete stop for more than a few seconds, you have to press the cruise control RESUME button to start rolling again
Right, that's what I expect - after 3(?) seconds at stop you'll need to press the RESUME button once to instruct the system to crawl forward and continue to follow the vehicle in front of you. I have two follow ups:

1. Can you tell if the vehicle is continuing to apply the brakes the whole time, like, what if the stopped traffic sits for 30 seconds (I'm just choosing an arbitrarily long time)? Normally trucks will idle/crawl forward, but I presume in this mode it will hold the brakes essentially indefinitely, right?
  2. What sort of lane control does this have? None (meaning driver literally does all steering)? Perhaps enough to keep the truck in a relatively straight road? Enough to go around sweeping highway turns?

FL4x4

Reaction score
How your Adaptive Cruise works is dependent upon what year Raptor you have.

I have a 2019 Fully Loaded Raptor purchased at the end of June:

First of all, one of the options listed on the window sticker was: "ADAPT CRUISE-STOPGO-PRECOLLIS"

Below is a description of how my Adaptive Cruise behaves:

I have had the Collision Alert! notice pop-up on my instrument panel a few times. Yes, I'm a very aggressive driver. I was a COP and I drive a Raptor.

What I've also noticed is that when the Collision Alert pops-up on the screen, there is NO Red LED strip that lights up and reflects off the windshield like on previous models of Raptors. I've looked at the dash and the LED strip is just not there.

Of the several times the Collision Alert has popped-up, Only once (so far) has the truck freaked out and applied the brakes thinking I was about to crash us. It did this WITHOUT Cruise control being active, just driving in "Normal" drive Mode.

My Raptor also has a "Stop and Go" feature that I use daily during my commute to and from work in stop-and-go traffic.

It works like this. I set my cruise control (either moving or while stopped) in my case it's 35mph. The truck will then come to a COMPLETE STOP behind the vehicle in front of me on its own and holds the brake until either I take over or the vehicle in front of me moves. The moment the car in front of me starts moving, the truck will start moving AUTOMATICALLY and when the vehicle in front of me stops, so does my Raptor, without me doing anything with the Brake or Accelerator.

There is a time out that kicks in if you're stopped in traffic for about 60 seconds or more, you'll see the word "STOPPED" displayed just above the lane keeping icons on the instrument panel. When this happens, the truck WILL NOT begin to move automatically until you press the "RES" (Resume) button on the steering wheel. I press "RES" as soon as "STOPPED" is displayed WHILE THE TRUCK IS STILL STOPPED IN TRAFFIC and that resets the 60 second timer that will disengage the Stop and Go feature. The truck will then automatically start moving again as soon as the vehicle in front of me does without me doing anything else.

I have a 2018 VOLVO XC60 Hybrid with "Pilot Assist" cruise control that does almost the same thing as my Raptor, except it also steers the car and is a little more advanced than the system in my Raptor, but they work very much the same way.

Bottom line is this for my 2019 Raptor:

1. My 2019 Raptor WILL (and has) apply the brakes if it thinks it's going to crash.
2. It can manage stop and go traffic by itself without me applying the brake or accelerator.
3. While cruising down the highway with the Adaptive Cruise Control Set it WILL apply the brakes when needed and even come to a complete stop and then resume moving without ANY input from me.
4. Some of these features such as Pre-Collision Alerts and Braking are disable in some drive Modes such as Baja.

Last edited:

Small Town Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^interesting. My 2019 stops for about 3-5 seconds before it prompts me to use the RESUME button in stop and go traffic....not anywhere close to 60 seconds.

That said, I bought my truck in March 2019...experienced a complete cruise control module failure shortly after. The module was replace under warranty and I wonder if I have some kind of early build module where the RESUME prompt kicks in only after 3-5 second after stopping.....not the 60 seconds suggested above.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^interesting. My 2019 stops for about 3-5 seconds before it prompts me to use the RESUME button in stop and go traffic....not anywhere close to 60 seconds.

That said, I bought my truck in March 2019...experienced a complete cruise control module failure shortly after. The module was replace under warranty and I wonder if I have some kind of early build module where the RESUME prompt kicks in only after 3-5 second after stopping.....not the 60 seconds suggested above.
Bought my 2019 in February
When using ACC, mine will come to a full stop if the vehicle in front of me does. After a couple of seconds the ACC will disengage and will have to be engaged again by resume button once I start moving again.
I love my ACC when at speed on the highway and freeway. Also very handy during traffic congestion with a lot of speed up and slow down activity.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I purchased my 19 in April and it has the same 3-5 second delay you mention. I’m going to give it another go on my commute to work next week and pay closer attention to how the whole thing works.

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased my 19 and haven’t had the cajones to let it come to a complete stop... I have thought about trying but always find myself disengaging and driving prior to letting the auto thing do it’s thing. Seems to apply brakes too late for my comfort in traffic.

braptorin

Reaction score
So no steering assist at all, right? Does that change with the 2020s? (Honestly I’m having a hard time understanding the meaningful differences 19->20, other than color and order codes, but that’s another topic so I’m only curious here about steering in ACC mode!)

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have never heard of a 60 second stop delay on ACC. I have been around many ACC vehicles and never seen anything close to that. The stop delay is usually 3-5 seconds.

Doesn't mean its not there, just nothing I have seen in probably 30-40 ACC equipped vehicles. I know it is not on 3 Raptors I have driven with the ACC.

Sam

Last edited:

baptizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use it all of the time on the highway with no issues except for when passing a tractor-trailer in a sharp curve it will sometimes detect it and hit the brakes.