A serious Line-X question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ninjazed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a brand new 2013 Raptor that the selling dealer had Line-X premium installed in the bed area before I even found the truck on their lot. I wasn't originally a fan of these spray in liners but the Line-X job is awesome and looks to provide years of service.

My only problem (which I just noticed after having the truck a month now) is that the Line-X is applied pretty thick which is a good thing. However, at the rear area of the pickup bed where it meets the tailgate the tolerances appear to be rather tight. As a result, the rough Line-X is actually rubbing away the paint at the inside bottom of the tailgate when it's closed.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I was gonna use some kind of adhesive and apply a strip of thin rubber along the lower edge of the inner tailgate to protect against chafing. Before I do that though I wanted to know if anyone else had this issue and what possible solutions exist other that watching rust start to appear in this area.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never really looked at the area you're describing.

I've had my 2014 for a couple of months now. Got Line-X premium put on a few weeks ago.

Will look to see if I can find an evidence of rubbing.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it was taped wrong and should be warrantied. As far as the rubbed off paint I personally would ask them to fix it (at a body shop, not with line-x). I've had several trucks with line-x and it shouldn't be rubbing like that.

SHAI HULUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the Line-X is too thick just in that area where it meets the lower portion of the tailgate, you might be able to shave it down a bit with a sharp razorblade or sand it down with a vibratory sander. Just a thought...

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Line-X is too thick just in that area where it meets the lower portion of the tailgate, you might be able to shave it down a bit with a sharp razorblade or sand it down with a vibratory sander. Just a thought...

I'm sure that's what line-x will do to fix it.

OP
OP
ninjazed

ninjazed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Since the nearest Line-X dealer is a couple hours drive away I think I'll just try sanding that area of the bed liner myself. The area that's already chafed on the tailgate can just be touched up with white paint since its hidden most if the time anyways. I could go back to the dealer and raise hell but, honestly, some things just seem easier to deal with myself. I'll save the real foot stomping in case something really serious happens! So far, everything else about this truck is aces and it's meeting all of my expectations. Well, that lone trans temp display is kind of stupid but that's another story.

Venomns

Reaction score
I would have got them do it. You had a paid for the premium but they taped it wrong. Problem is most dealerships charge one thousand dollars for this. Ouch!

BigBlock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't tape it wrong, they just applied it a bit too thick in that area. Take it back, it's an easy fix.

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree, doesnt sound like its taped wrong, just applied too thick. we delete the manstep on the tailgate, and use a regular access panel, and spray the tailgate like a regular tailgate. that will fix the problem as well. Line-x against paint will always cause paint to fail.