A few questions about owning a Raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy some sort of truck when I get back from Afghanistan and I've been looking really hard at getting a Raptor. No, I'm not in the service anymore, just a Vet that came over here for a year as a contractor.

I'm really going to look hard at one if I can setup a job in the southwest upon my return stateside. I will be buying a pickup when I get back stateside in January I'm just not set on which one yet.

I would be using it to tow my Evo semi often, which is about 3000lbs. Probably once a month depending on how far away it is to a decent strip and road course.
From lurking on here, I know a Raptor would be capable, but, how does it feel going down the road with a load?
Regardless of where I end up living, it would likely see one 1500-2000 mile roundtrip towing a year to an event.
A trailer is something else I'm going to buy when I get back so I don't know for sure the loaded weight, but, I'm sure it will gross well under the 7000lb limit for towing with a supercrew.

What besides a weight distributing hitch would be useful to get with the towing in mind?
I've seen some mention of heavier rear springs.

What sort of engine-performance mods are worthwhile without voiding the powertrain warranty?
Being honest, I cannot leave good enough alone which is how I ended up with a 800awhp Evo that was supposed to be my daily driven street car.

I'd also likely pickup one of the frame brace/progressive bumpstops kits right away too based on what I've read. I don't know how hard I would beat on a $50K truck, but, I'm certain there would/will be some hooliganism that goes on. I am a 20-something that's into fast things afterall. I'm going to do what I can to get a job in/near the desert(AZ, NM and TX have high probabilities) and the truck would get used for it's intended purpose.

How is the OEM stereo for navigating through music on an iPod?
Pretty sure if I were to get one I would grab the Luxury Package, so in reference to that radio setup.

How is the truck for ride/comfort/noise etc for daily use?
Coming from having my Evo as my DD for the past few years that is loud, hot and rides stiff, I'm probably much easier to keep happy about DD manners than the average person.

For anyone in their mid-late twenties, what does your insurance run?

Should the answers just be "search moar" I'll do that, I'm just hoping to get at least a couple of responses.

Last edited:

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
WELL! I would buy the Raptor and for the little towing the truck does great, for that long haul just rent a flatbead wrecker, its milage is better! hahaha. But seriously, for 99% of your use it is the truck.

BDRAG

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome!! towing will be no prob with a supercrew, it tows 8000lb, also want more power get a whipple 2.9L SC, itll put the raptor just over 600hp. Raptor is a great truck, you truely wont find a better one :waytogo:

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues with towing a trailer a few weeks ago with 4 pallets of wet grass. I'm not sure how heavy it was but the big trailer sure did squat down a bunch. The Raptors are a great riding daily driver I think mainly due to the long and wide wheel base and a great fox suspension system. A few great starter mods are CAI, exhaust, 5star tuner, and mid perch on the front shocks. I'm mid 30's and when I switched from a 2010 FX4 to the 2011 Raptor my insurance went from $98-$104 a month, and that's allstate full coverage. It really is a incredible truck both on and off road! I've heard people on here mention a "permagrin" feeling when the are in their truck, I still have my permagrin every day when I get in it. If it's in your budget you will not regret it!

Dave

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Well, welcome to the site first off.

Second you can't go wrong with the Raptor. There's solutions out there now for towing and hauling heavy loads. RPG came up with one that's pretty nifty actually. You get their Stage 2 or Stage 3 kit with the 2.5" bumpstops that have 2" of travel, and if you're planning on towing a heavy load they will also sell you the 4" travel version of the same bumpstops. That allows you to carry a ton of weight and not worry about breaking anything.

The Raptor is an awesome DD. It's the most comfortable ride I've ever had in a truck. You won't be disappointed there at all.

Last edited:

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has one of the best radios available for using music from an iPod, Zune, or just a flash drive. It has voice commands for everything and they actually work.

Things like "Play Artist XXXX", "Play Playlist ***", "Play Genre XXXX", even "Play Track XXXX".

Once you have around 60GB of music, you lose individual track commands though.

Using bluetooth audio, you don't get voice commands so you have to use the interface of the source device, which can be challenging while driving at times. Trying to use the touch screen to navigate music on the iPod, Zune, or flash drive is probably pretty miserable too since there is no click wheel for fast scrolling.

I can't speak to the rest. The truck isn't my DD because gas mileage is terrible and I hate wasting really expensive off-road tires on the street. Also, the most I haul is a motorcycle, which doesn't come close to a weight limit. I did put a car on a flatbed and my bike in the bed and towed it through CO with no issues what so ever.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I stand corrected on the Ipod. Mah bad!

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Oh as far as towing...I totally forgot about SDHQ's long travel air bag system.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do it!

NIKE bro! Just do It! Get one you deserve it! Life's to short!
How many more one liners do you need to hear!