A/C Concerns - Not cold enough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relatively poor performance has been an issue on F-150s for a while now, partially due to the lack of insulation on the refrigerant tubes in the engine bay. There is a good write-up on f150online showing how to add some insulation to the system and improve temps by 2-4 degF (claimed in the post) if you want to give it a shot:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/2...w-i-made-my-not-so-great-c-little-better.html

It may not completely fix your problem, but for $8 it might make it easier to live with.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Relatively poor performance has been an issue on F-150s for a while now, partially due to the lack of insulation on the refrigerant tubes in the engine bay. There is a good write-up on f150online showing how to add some insulation to the system and improve temps by 2-4 degF (claimed in the post) if you want to give it a shot:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/2...w-i-made-my-not-so-great-c-little-better.html

It may not completely fix your problem, but for $8 it might make it easier to live with.

This is great advice, and probably a must-do for the desert Raptor crowd.

OP
OP
Nemesis

Nemesis

Reaction score
Well I have lived in Phoenix all my life, so I am used to the "Welcome to Hell" heat we get. I am just not happy with F-150 based A/C systems. I use auto start all the time to get the cooling process started.
In my 2013 Raptor I did the insulation on the lines and that didn't seem to help. Then I did the resistor mod and it was amazing. I eventually ordered the OEM connectors and an adjustable potentiometer and the adjustability was great for these crazy hot days. I could adjust it down to blow sub 40 degrees if I wanted to when it was 110+ outside. It took a little adjusting to get just the right spot to get super cold air and not freeze the condenser. Whenever I would start to have a smell from the vents I would just turn the dial up a little.

Now that I have my Blue 2017 Raptor it just can't seem to cool down enough in the heat of the day. I just took my son to school and it is around 102 degrees. The A/C was working great and showing 40 degrees. But once the heat of the day happens, then I am lucky to get 50 degrees.

Not sure if I need to take it in to check the charge or if there is the ability to do the resistor mod to these trucks. I know a lot of things we redesigned and moved, so not sure if this is possible until someone with more expertise figures it out.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Also when I get in my wife's Hyundia Santa Fe Sport, the A/C will freeze my balls off. I have also been given a few rentals (Focus and Mustang) from Ford during services that were blowing ice cubes from the vents in the middle of summer.
I just don't understand why they don't put a better A/C system thing these trucks.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will share a trick i learned on my 14. put a foam insulator over the ac lines. i haven't did it to my 17 yet but will soon. learned that on the regular f150 forums.

edit @weezy beat me to it lol

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
121 out , 43 coming out of the vents. This is first time i read the temps on this truck, i knew it was colder than my raptor. Total 78 degree diffrence. It would cycle to 43 then raise to 45 then back to 43 so that where the cutoff is. In stop and go traffic it would goto 48 to 49 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_20170620_170718.jpg
    IMG_20170620_170718.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20170620_175020.jpg
    IMG_20170620_175020.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 44