5 star tune review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first impression. I installed the 93 octane city tune.

I only took it for a test drive.

It is very smooth. The shifting is softer than stock but very quick. This is especially noticible in sport mode. Think Cadillac....

The power delivery is very smooth and very drivable. It's downright buttery. The throttle response is very quick now. No more "oh crap" moments hitting the gas and pulling into traffic.

The throttle responsiveness is different than the pedal max adjustment. That is more twitchy and light switch....

Now For the power... I'm not sure how much power it's producing. It's more than stock.... but it isn't sucking me into the seat.... the JMS boostmax felt quite a bit quicker.... HOWEVER.... it may be an illusion because the boostmax has a nonlinear, jerky kind of power delivery. This is so darn smooth it may be that it isn't creating that sensation of getting ****** back into the seat. I dont have dyno runs or side by side drag races. I don't even have a decent timer to do a 0-60 run.

It's a far better truck to drive than stock. It's also better to drive than when I was running a boostmax/pedalmax combo. It would be a lot better for off-roading than the boostmax because of the mellow power curve. I just don't know if I'm going to be able to win the traffic light duels against the civic rice riders like I used to.

Anyone else have any thoughts on theirs?

Guy

hmgt3

Reaction score
Thanks for the review Maybe the 93 performance tune would feel more like what you felt with boostmax??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tunes in terms of power are the same. The throttle aggressiveness and shift patterns are more performance oriented in the performance tune. So it probably is more of a rubber band feel.

I'm going to try this tune for a bit. I really kinda like how drivable it is. It's not thrilling per say... but it's really a smooth easy driver. Then I'll switch over and see how the performance tune rolls.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the honest review. If you don't mind sharing, how much did the tune cost you?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...

So I uploaded the 93 performance tune now after driving the other for awhile.

Holy Toledo Batman!

The transmission and throttle changes are not subtle. It transforms into the tire spinning neck snapping thing you wouldn't want your kids to drive.

I'm sure 0-60 times are in the 4's assuming you get solid traction on a straightaway. It's a little bit of a handful for daily driving though but whoa is it fun!

Compared to the JMS boostmax.... it's hard to say... I think it's similar to the boostmax with the pedal max all the way up on 93 octane...

But I think side by side this would probably pull a length or two....

Last edited:

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use n-gauge or sct? What tuner?

Do you have any other parts on truck?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

CWBROWN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I called 5 Star yesterday to have a few of my own questions answered and wanted to share a few takeaways

1) They are running the N-gauge for the Gen 2 right now because it's the only one that will allow them to tune for both the engine and transmission.

2) The SCT Tuners should be coming but it's looking like that will not support the transmission but they are still working on it.

3) They have about 300 runs on the dyno and they aren't running the standard 35's on the truck because of the cost to replace the tires. They probably would have went through a few sets by now. They have actually been running standard wheels and tires off an F150. I sure the weight saving of the wheel/tire combo is helping to boost the numbers a small bit (just my opinion).

4) It seems that the drop in filter compared to the CAI are making within ~10hp of each other (Not sure if it's enough hp for me to spend the extra money on the CAI).

5) There seems to be less issues with heat if you go with the closed system "like" AFe. There has been some other threads about warm air and the affects of sucking in all the heat off the engine in an open system.

Just a few thoughts from my conversation. I am just trying to do some research. Should I go 5 Star or wait for the Ford Performance tune.

CWBROWN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard mixed things on this theory. Maybe someone with more experiance on a dyno can enlighten us. I have heard if the truck isn't tight and the wheels slip it can burn them up quicker than you think. I also don't know anyone that has done 300 runs on a brand new truck either. That's a lot of runs to get everything dialed in on the engine and transmission.

I honestly don't know.

Wait.. what? The dyno runs are eating their tires?