5.4 to the rescue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tonight, around 7 PM, I decide to take my wife and two kids (7 and 10), to the beach for a sunset surf/sup session, a little cookout, and s'mores. My tires were already aired down to 20 psi, and off we went. Arriving at the beach, a friend of ours was driving off and told us that a black raptor was buried to the frame down the beach a ways. I took out my binoculars, and sure enough there was a black 2012 supercrew (I can tell by the rims-geeky, huh?) with piles of sand all around it (the driver was still digging).

I tell my wife that I want to go help, and she starts complaining that I might get stuck, damage my truck, etc... So I told her that one of things I always loved about my dad was that he would always stop and help people who were broken down or stuck on the beach, and that my truck was made for this sort of stuff and that I knew what I was doing.

So, I head down the beach, and it turns out that the driver is an old friend, Brian, and that he was driving a friend's raptor. (must be a really good friend) So, I ask Brian, how much did you air down the tires, was it in ORM, 4 Hi or 4L, and were the differentials locked? He only aired down the tires to 30 psi, didn't have any of the ORM stuff turned, didn't have the differentials locked, and didn't know how to shift into 4L using nuetral under 5mph. So, we finished letting the air out, digging out the truck, and I helped him turn on ORM, 4L, and locked the differentials. We then hooked up my truck with a tow rope, pulled it taut, and even though the sand was super soft, we were on a slight incline, and he was buried super deep, I pulled him out easy in about five seconds.

The icing on this cake is that my Raptor is a 2010 5.4 L super cab, and I got to pull out a 6.2 L super crew! It just goes to show you that more horsepower doesn't necessarily translate to better driving. You have to learn about this truck, and maximize its potential in different driving conditions. I would like to thank all of you guys on this forum for posting all of the information you do; if it wasn't for you, I might still be digging...

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool story. Now I want to know: Who lends their Raptor out? Why take a $50K vehicle out on the beach without knowing how to operate it? Your friend is really lucky you-another Raptor owner just happened along....what are the odds?

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad you got that casualty off the beach before some ram runner or such happened across this pilgrim. This is exactly how these kinds of videos make it to you tube... thanks for sparing us. Good job!

OP
OP
Atticus

Atticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool story. Now I want to know: Who lends their Raptor out? Why take a $50K vehicle out on the beach without knowing how to operate it? Your friend is really lucky you-another Raptor owner just happened along....what are the odds?

My guess is that Nantucket, where I live, has the highest number of Raptors per square mile at any given moment during the summer months. I have probably seen 10 or more this summer, and there are at least 5 here right now. The island is only 7 miles long and 4 miles wide. There are 3 year round Raptors. My dad and I own two of them. (I got mine first :laughing1:)

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome story man, I love helping people that are stuck, specially in the snow, when I had a mustang I always got stuck in the southern Kansas winters and there was always someone with a Jeep or pickup that alway pulled me out for free so now I pay-it-forward everytime I find someone needing help