4x4 switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rap Tour87

Reaction score
Ok so I've been having problems with my 4 wheel drive knob. I turn it to 4 hi and sometimes it clicks on right away but sometimes it just throws a wrench up and says check 4x4. Sometimes it puts it in 4 Lo and then I have to put my truck in neutral and play with the switch until it goes in to 4 hi. Anybody else have problems with this? Any suggestions on what it might be to get it fixed? Thanks ahead of time!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it's the switch, but I think I read on here somewhere that same problem and its some part on the transfer case, do you still have warranty?

OP
OP
R

Rap Tour87

Reaction score
No it's out of warranty. I'll bring it in and get it checked out. Hopefully won't be too much $$$$

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Find out what part is defective first and then you can shop around online for the part and decide if its something you can fix yourself or not.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the 4x4 shift solenoid on the side of the transfer case. I personally would find the solenoid and clean the electrical plug that goes to it and add some dielectric grease to start with. BUT, taking it to the dealer, their scanner will narrow it down for you before throwing parts at it.

kelevra

Reaction score
It definitely sounds like the shift motor on the t-case, but as stated above I would check the connections and ground at the shift motor. It sounds like the plates in the shift motor are not registering the correct motor position when it moves the shift mechanism.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I've been having problems with my 4 wheel drive knob. I turn it to 4 hi and sometimes it clicks on right away but sometimes it just throws a wrench up and says check 4x4. Sometimes it puts it in 4 Lo and then I have to put my truck in neutral and play with the switch until it goes in to 4 hi. Anybody else have problems with this? Any suggestions on what it might be to get it fixed? Thanks ahead of time!

It sounds like it's time for a trip to your dealership, Rap Tour87. How many miles are on your Raptor? I'll be here if you need help after your appointment.

Crystal

Dusty Bottoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you find a fix?

I had this same sort of issue. I'd get the wrench and the check 4x4 switch and then nothing would happen and sometimes it'd switch to 4-high and wouldn't come out. The rear-diff would also engage randomly.

I took it into the dealership...they ended up replacing some electronics on the switching device as well an actuator in the transfer case. It was covered under warranty and now works like a charm.