2019 front differential seal leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bee

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @FordTechOne. You are always so very helpful on this forum.

The pinion bearing preload is not something I want to screw up. I was planning on marking the nut with a scratch awl. But I guess you are saying this method is too shade tree mechanic.

I have strong impacts and a collection of torque wrenches, but not a beam style one.

I've been cleaning it with brake cleaner for weeks. It's the slowest of leaks, but it is still there.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before doing anything I would recommend cleaning the surface with brake cleaner and keeping an eye on it. Pinion seals are dynamic seals; if the axle was even slightly overfilled during assembly, some of the gear lubricant will may have worked it's way past the pinion seal.
Thanks bro I always appreciate your insight, wish you worked & a nearby Ford service dept!!!!

Bee

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the skid plates off and unscrewed the fill plug. My diff was definitely overfilled as a bunch of lube spilled out. I let it drain to the bottom of the fill port and put the plug back. Hopefully that was the cause.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, if I had the spare time and cashflow haha. The professionalism in a lot of these popular YouTube channels is impressive, it requires some significant effort and good equipment/software- especially on the editing side - to make said content.

I'd subscribe in a hot minute.

Use your phone and/or a Mevo Start camera, Rode Wireless Go for audio, Wevideo or just the Youtube app to edit down your vids and keep it real. No fluff or music or whatever.

Paul Harrell style. Just good info.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the skid plates off and unscrewed the fill plug. My diff was definitely overfilled as a bunch of lube spilled out. I let it drain to the bottom of the fill port and put the plug back. Hopefully that was the cause.
I have a '19 and have the slowest of weeping on the passenger side. I use 4A regularly and 4H offroad. I'll clean it up and monitor.

Then if it continues, will check for an overfill. I assumed it wouldn't be from the factory, but maybe a bad assumption.

OP
OP
Jeremy Zacher

Jeremy Zacher

Reaction score
Well this post took off months down the road. I ended up taking it into the dealer and they replaced the seal under warranty. I still use my 4wd very often. Sometimes leaving it locked in for several days depending on the weather. No issues since.