GEN 2 2018 SCrew: Early Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Aftermarket opportunity right here.

Someone make a module to interface with the multiple on board computers required to:

1) allow setting auto stop/start to no by default.
2) allow “remember last drive mode”
3) allow “select trans/ case default change” for at least some modes.

all by mechanical switch.

So if I shut down in mud/sand, i restart in mud/sand. If I toggle back to normal and I want 4a as the default, 4a gets selected by default. etc.

maybe I want 2h default for normal, but for sport I want 4a by default.

There’s a nice empty space right behind the center dash speaker that would be a great spot for some toggle switches.

Since we're making a wish list, also have it disable the speed limits on the front camera and mirror lights.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I recall seeing this in another FRF thread a few months ago. Arent there some side effects associated with this approach, like the truck seeing a trailer connected all the time, or other side effects? Several posts in that thread about this, none entirely clear.

No downside at all for me. I don't use a trailer. I think if you do then you have to plug connection back in for trailer lights to work.

It takes a second to plug back in too. It's just under the dash under steering wheel.

OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score
no downside at all for me. I don't use a trailer. I think if you do then you have to plug connection back in for trailer lights to work.

Tried this - works with no side effects noted so far. Seems too good to be true! Surely there is a downside. I have my BD reverse lights connected to the trailer backup light wire in the trailer connector and this still works. Apparently it is only the trailer turn signals, brake lights, and tail lights that are in the unplugged connector. I also don't tow anything so no need to reconnect.

Last edited:

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Forskin will remove your button annuity about the auto stop/start....in the end when people start their vehicle they turn on the radio, change channels, futz with the climate control...so one button to hit isn't that big of a deal...

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
Forskin will remove your button annuity about the auto stop/start....in the end when people start their vehicle they turn on the radio, change channels, futz with the climate control...so one button to hit isn't that big of a deal...

Can forskin fix the wet fart sound the OP is complaining about?

jrsteeno

Reaction score
BMW is a 2018 and the RRS is a 2016. Maybe because both are imports the switch is different.

Your BMW must have been coded by the dealer to have auto start/stop stay off after restart. I’ve got a 2018 X3 M40i and it resets every time. I hit Sport mode whenever I get in the car anyway which also turns it off. A friend has a 2018 540 and it behaves the same way. We also have a 2014 528 and 2015 328, both of which do not reset on restart.

Blkz06

Reaction score
Your BMW must have been coded by the dealer to have auto start/stop stay off after restart. I’ve got a 2018 X3 M40i and it resets every time. I hit Sport mode whenever I get in the car anyway which also turns it off. A friend has a 2018 540 and it behaves the same way. We also have a 2014 528 and 2015 328, both of which do not reset on restart.

No not at all. Definitely strange though because I’ve had two 5 series and now a 6 series all in the last 3 years and all of them did not reset.

I have to go by the dealer tomorrow and I’m going to ask my service advisor what the deal is.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we're making a wish list, also have it disable the speed limits on the front camera and mirror lights.

jaz, there is a simple mod on you tube to enable the mirror LEDs to stay on above 5mph. Don't have the link handy, but did this in about 20 mins and they work all the time now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFcJvDikVxY

try this...

Last edited: