GEN 2 2018 SCrew: Early Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score
The quoted gains for city driving are up to 10%, which would take you from 15 to 16.5

It would be my understanding that this kind of gain is seen in the EPA test protocol, not in the real world. Actual gains will depend greatly on driving conditions, driver choices (auto s/s on or off), use of remote start, etc, and are likely much less than this.

The greater benefit is zero emissions during idle which I personally think is important

Some think this important, others do not. I have been a serious student of this topic for many years, and, as a result, put myself in the latter category. Data I have seen show that motor vehicles worldwide account for a small fraction of total CO2 emissions. Other vehicle emissions have been greatly reduced over the years and continue to be reduced. Not a significant issue IMHO. This is a cost/benefit issue. Is the improvement in emissions worth it?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
how old are they? the stop/start trick is older than the EPA's rule that it needs to reset after every key cycle.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/automakers-increasingly-offer-ways-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily

No, it doesn’t.

If it’s selectable and defaults to off, the EPA averages city mpg with and without. So? Would any of us have balked if the city mpg was 1-2mpg lower?

As to the “zero emissions at idle”, I just have a hard time accepting this with all the 75% empty buses running around belching diesel smoke into the air.

OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score
So? Would any of us have balked if the city mpg was 1-2mpg lower?

Short answer: no. Raptors are specialty vehicles; fuel economy is way down the list of priorities for owners. Those focused on fuel economy would be better served with a Prius.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you look at the life cycle cost of owning and driving a Raptor, the fuel savings related to auto start/stop will not make a detectable blip on the total.

Ford didn't do it to save us $$$ at the pump. They did it for all the buyers out there who aren't brand-loyalists. If GM/RAM have the feature and gain an extra tick on their city or combined MPG, that's a lot of potential sales Ford would be missing out on if they don't adopt the technology.

As far as it being specific to the Raptor, you can bet your shirt that if the Raptor didn't have it and the "lower" trim F150's do, people would be up in arms about it. It's far easier to defeat the feature than it is to add it in so it makes sense for it to be there.

Personally, it doesn't bother me a whole lot. On warm days where I'm running the AC, I hit the button as soon as I start the car. On days that I have the sunroof open and want to enjoy the breeze coming through the window, I'll take the fuel savings it provides. It may not be much, but it's something.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

No, it doesn’t.

If it’s selectable and defaults to off, the EPA averages city mpg with and without. So? Would any of us have balked if the city mpg was 1-2mpg lower?

I think some of us would. It also doesn't make sense for Ford to adopt different EPA testing methodology for the Raptor than they do for literally, every one of their other vehicles. You can bet your ass that you'll have tens of thousands of "balkers" when Joe contractor is buying a work truck and Ford is 1-2 MPG less than GM or RAM.

I don't know anyone who didn't buy a vehicle because it included start/stop. I do know plenty of people who don't buy vehicles that don't have the economy they desire.

OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score
I don't know anyone who didn't buy a vehicle because it included start/stop.

I came close, but then I did some homework and learned there are multiple ways to defeat auto start/stop.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Auto manufacturers are regulated by their fleet average mpg. Obviously mpg doesn't matter much to the typical Raptor buyer, but the Raptor mpg is very important to Ford. Hence the effort to squeeze even the smallest fraction out of every vehicle across the entire fleet.

OP
OP
N

NHnewbie

Reaction score
Yea. Like pulling a single plug in connector that took all of 2 seconds.

So, I recall seeing this in another FRF thread a few months ago. Arent there some side effects associated with this approach, like the truck seeing a trailer connected all the time, or other side effects? Several posts in that thread about this, none entirely clear.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I recall seeing this in another FRF thread a few months ago. Arent there some side effects associated with this approach, like the truck seeing a trailer connected all the time, or other side effects? Several posts in that thread about this, none entirely clear.

There’s also a button. Just press it. Not that difficult. Easier then shifting out of park which you also need to do each time you get in the car.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Aftermarket opportunity right here.

Someone make a module to interface with the multiple on board computers required to:

1) allow setting auto stop/start to no by default.
2) allow “remember last drive mode”
3) allow “select trans/ case default change” for at least some modes.

all by mechanical switch.

So if I shut down in mud/sand, i restart in mud/sand. If I toggle back to normal and I want 4a as the default, 4a gets selected by default. etc.

maybe I want 2h default for normal, but for sport I want 4a by default.

There’s a nice empty space right behind the center dash speaker that would be a great spot for some toggle switches.