GEN 2 2017 oil pan leak fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
I've seen a bunch of threads about people complaining about the leak on the pan, but not really finding any that had an actual solution or fix. So either those having the issues finally got their local ford tech to fix it after so many attempts, or people are still driving around with leaking pans.

I just recently purchased a 2017 that was a manufacturer buyback due to Ford techs not being able to fix the leak after 4 times. I knew up front of the issue and plan to address it myself. I'll start with resealing the pan my way and if that happens to fail get the metal pan kit from RMB and be done with it.

Figured I would first see if anyone was able to get theirs fixed permanently and if they had any tips/tricks they care to share on it.

Jeremy Rice

Reaction score
My 2017 is at the dealer now getting the timing rattle noise fixed and the oil pan replaced because of a leak. Hopefully it fixes my issue.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017. Got the leaking oil pan fixed at 1000 miles. Ford replaced the oil pan and it has yet to leak again at 68000 miles.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've seen a bunch of threads about people complaining about the leak on the pan, but not really finding any that had an actual solution or fix. So either those having the issues finally got their local ford tech to fix it after so many attempts, or people are still driving around with leaking pans.

I just recently purchased a 2017 that was a manufacturer buyback due to Ford techs not being able to fix the leak after 4 times. I knew up front of the issue and plan to address it myself. I'll start with resealing the pan my way and if that happens to fail get the metal pan kit from RMB and be done with it.

Figured I would first see if anyone was able to get theirs fixed permanently and if they had any tips/tricks they care to share on it.
Get the dealer to do it, no sense wasting your time and effort. You're probably not at the same dealer anyway as the OG, so, hopefully your dealer is more competent.

OP
OP
Drgonzo3000

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Thought about it... But

taking it to the dealer, having them sit on it for a week, being down my DD in winter, with a 50/50 chance of them getting it right.

or

Pulling it into my shop, ensuing it's done right and having it back up and running in 2 days.

I'm a mechanic by nature so I have very little trust in others doing work I can do myself.

OP
OP
Drgonzo3000

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are they replacing it with plastic again???
Ford will only replace it with another plastic pan.

Pan itself is not the problem. It’s the techs failing to follow the procedure exactly, applying the sealant properly and not allowing the sealant to full cure before filling it with oil and running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So after visiting my dealer for an oil change, I also have the oil pan leak.

Under warranty, so its all good.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As mentioned, the root cause of the leak is the RTV not properly adhering to the pan and block. Ford released a revised and highly detailed RTV service procedure last year to ensure proper sealing. If the process is followed properly, there will not be a repeat leak.

Here is the TSB procedure for F-150/Expedition:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171915-0001.pdf