GEN 2 2017 oil pan leak fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Drgonzo3000

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
As mentioned, the root cause of the leak is the RTV not properly adhering to the pan and block. Ford released a revised and highly detailed RTV service procedure last year to ensure proper sealing. If the process is followed properly, there will not be a repeat leak.

Here is the TSB procedure for F-150/Expedition:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171915-0001.pdf

Fully aware of the revised TSB, But Ford producing a new document on how to do it doesn't mean the techs are going to do it right. Oil pan on the one I bought was done twice after the revised TSB came out. Still leaks!

I have a lot of issues with the TSB and the chemicals they are using and believe they are a part of the problem. Examining my leak clearly shows the adhesion issue is not with the pan, but the adhesive to the aluminum block itself. The oil is seeping between the adhesive and the aluminum. So it really has nothing to do with the pans themselves.

The TSB calls out that the prep wipes they are using are a water based, slightly acidic chemical. Water on aluminum causes instant oxidation, so the acid they think will etch the aluminum will do nothing but etch the oxidation layer on the aluminum.

The fact they even have to acid etch the surface trying to get adhesion bothers me. Silicone adhesive doesn't seal on the microscopic level this mild acid etch will supposedly create. You need a properly prepped surface for the silicone to actually adhere to which is going to be like a 320 grit scotch bright pad. Ever try to glue something together that wasn't scuffed up first... It doesn't work.

I've built hundreds of engines from race to heavy equipment and when silicone is involved that shit needs to be clean, oil free and scuffed the **** up!

MIScrEanT

Reaction score
Mine has leaked twice and fixed properly once. Peoria Ford' did a ****** job and it started leaking again. Looked like they fixed it and it still leaked so they just smeared sealant across a corner. It was a minor leak. Took it to Sanderson Lincoln and they fixed it properly. Apparently it is a process and if not followed it will leak again. At least that is what they told me. Think it took about 3 days.

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fully aware of the revised TSB, But Ford producing a new document on how to do it doesn't mean the techs are going to do it right. Oil pan on the one I bought was done twice after the revised TSB came out. Still leaks!

I have a lot of issues with the TSB and the chemicals they are using and believe they are a part of the problem. Examining my leak clearly shows the adhesion issue is not with the pan, but the adhesive to the aluminum block itself. The oil is seeping between the adhesive and the aluminum. So it really has nothing to do with the pans themselves.

The TSB calls out that the prep wipes they are using are a water based, slightly acidic chemical. Water on aluminum causes instant oxidation, so the acid they think will etch the aluminum will do nothing but etch the oxidation layer on the aluminum.

The fact they even have to acid etch the surface trying to get adhesion bothers me. Silicone adhesive doesn't seal on the microscopic level this mild acid etch will supposedly create. You need a properly prepped surface for the silicone to actually adhere to which is going to be like a 320 grit scotch bright pad. Ever try to glue something together that wasn't scuffed up first... It doesn't work.

I've built hundreds of engines from race to heavy equipment and when silicone is involved that shit needs to be clean, oil free and scuffed the **** up!

First, I'm sure you are very capable of fixing this yourself and better than the procedure, but felt I should mention a couple things. Al freely oxidizes in air which is significant to its corrosion resistance, so no matter how you start it will be oxidized. Water in an acid solution in a short period like this won't cause corrosion. Acid etching is very common in AL surface prep. And the aluminum to silicone adhesion definitely takes place on a "microscopic" level.

Your surface prep will of course be beneficial as increasing surface will increase overall strength assuming you apply correctly.

Last edited:

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 leaked after about 6mos.
I finally had the dealer fix it Aug. 2018 (20,000kms). They put another plastic pan in it per Ford spec. They had the truck for 2 days.

The truck now has 40,000 kms and doesn’t leak at all. Very happy and relieved.

gfcashmo

Reaction score
I've had my dealership try to fix and had an outside reputable shop attempt to fix. Both failed. Still leaking. They followed the procedure to the letter and showed me the described solution.