2 Valve Stem Failures....in 2 weeks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I had my stock tires placed on some ADD Pro wheels in late December. No issues, until 2 weeks ago. My front driver stem was leaking air. Luckily I got it to the tire place in time. They fixed it. This Sunday I came out my truck parked overnight and the Front Right was completely flat.....turns out it was the stem yet again.

Anyone run into this issue? Am I missing something? Is there a tire leprechaun just messing with me?

I just don't want this to become a regular occurrence. Are there higher quality stems I should be looking at? Maybe find a new tire place.....I am baffled.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is leaking? the insert or the rubber body?

I do my beadlocks at home an never had any issues with the $7 pack of valve stems from oreilly's.

Could it be that the tire shop used used ones? that they did not clean the valve stem hole/port?

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The title says it all. I had my stock tires placed on some ADD Pro wheels in late December. No issues, until 2 weeks ago. My front driver stem was leaking air. Luckily I got it to the tire place in time. They fixed it. This Sunday I came out my truck parked overnight and the Front Right was completely flat.....turns out it was the stem yet again.

Anyone run into this issue? Am I missing something? Is there a tire leprechaun just messing with me?

I just don't want this to become a regular occurrence. Are there higher quality stems I should be looking at? Maybe find a new tire place.....I am baffled.

We use the no name bulk stems from West Coast Wheel Acc and I've never had an issue. Sometimes they can be ripped during install. But it's pretty noticeable when it happens. Something is definitely off. When you get it replaced next time see if they an get some pics of the old stem and the valve hole itself.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How did they "fix" it? Have you checked to make sure the valve stems are tight? They're pretty simple devices.

OP
OP
BSP10

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did they "fix" it? Have you checked to make sure the valve stems are tight? They're pretty simple devices.

They replaced the stem on the first one. The second one I had to put the spare on.

My Truck is at Ford right now for another issue so they are going to replace the faulty stem on the second tire.

Just seems odd. Even the tire place I go to that put my tires on to begin with said they have never seen an issue like that.

OP
OP
BSP10

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is leaking? the insert or the rubber body?

I do my beadlocks at home an never had any issues with the $7 pack of valve stems from oreilly's.

Could it be that the tire shop used used ones? that they did not clean the valve stem hole/port?

It was leaking around the "seal" area, basically right were the stem comes out of the wheel. You could see the tear. Same place on both tires. Luckily I caught the first one before I fully deflated. I was walking by my car and you could hear the air just hissing out of the stem, but not the core area where you would usually deflate it.

it is also odd that it was more than 2 months after they originally put my tires on, then 2 failed in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
BSP10

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are torn at the base, that happens during install.

Interesting. And it could take 2 months for that to come up?

I almost think it would be worth having a place make sure all of them are done correctly.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. And it could take 2 months for that to come up?

I almost think it would be worth having a place make sure all of them are done correctly.

May have not just cut all the way thru. We used to see them on sharp-edged valve stem holes or guys that would screw the pulling tool on where the valve cap goes and use the tire as leverage to pull the stem thru. If you are using one of those tools you should pull it straight out. No lube and pulling it thru at an angle will tear them quite often, it is weird it took this long but hey, who knows.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they don't clean that port or make sure to install it properly, it could damage the seating surfaces and potentially leak later on.

I'm careful with those things and use a little lube when installing the valve stems. For such a small part, it can cause headaches down the line if not properly installed with care.

I hope all the issues gets fixed.