1000lbs over max payload capacity - should I be concerned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope you're kidding...if not...what class is the normal F150 in? Mis information like this is what ruins forums. The Raptor payload is lower than a "normal" F50 because of the way the suspension is set up. The manufacturer determines the safe operating limits based on testing methodologies...handling, stopping, control, etc, etc are all factors that go into determining the final weight. Our trucks are set up for off road driving, turning bumps into butter and the trade off is reduced payload. A "normal" F150 carries more and also has a much harsher ride off road. I don't think you did any damage but you did risk other people on the road by having a truck over loaded and difficult to stop/maneuver in an emergency. You traded a charitable good deed for people in the Bahamas for risking the lives of people in America as you unsafely transported your load. But you truck is fine

No I wasn't kidding, son.

But I didn't make my statement clear enough so I will embellish my statement.
There are three “Gross Vehicle Weight Rating” classes for pickup trucks with just four tires 1, 2, 3.
These classes exist for safety regulation, commercial designation, and registration purposes.
There are some states that won't let you register the Raptor with passenger plates because of the GVWR.
Then you have states that go by curb weight of the vehicle and the Raptor is 6,000+ making it a commercial vehicle in some states.
Most of use get away from this because your DMV didn't pick up that it's a Raptor, it usually shows up as a F150 which is lighter.

Having said all that, the Raptor and Limited come with the small 5 1/2' bed so it will have the lowest capacity base on geometry.
The springs are only slightly different in each truck configuration. Bed length and wheel spacing account for most of the GVWR.
F-150 has a maximum payload capacity of between 1,641 lbs and 2,320 lbs. (Raptor is less)
https://www.kimbercreekford.com/blog/2017-ford-f-150-towing-and-payload-capacities/

Ford has to cover their ass with the Raptor and safety factors because you know damn well people are over loading the Raptor and going off-roading and camping.

So going over the 900 +/- payload on stock springs is not going to kill your Raptor if you drive it nice.

Last edited:

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
I was always told the F#'s related more to the torque rating and style of the rear axle i.e. non-floater, floater, dual wheel floater axle.
Today they are almost completely different trucks with little realtionship to load.
Who ever told you that...well just don't listen to them...about anything