SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger, Tracker and Emergency Locator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With The Mojave Road trip fast approaching I got to thinking about how, exactly, I might communicate with the outside world should I need help. I didn't want to go overboard with this, but on the other hand I didn't want to go in with nothing.

I considered everything from a satellite phone, to a personal locator beacon (PLB), to HAM radios. Satellite phones were very cost prohibitive, and won't connect you with local rescue nor inform them of your location. PLBs seemed to be way overkill (see below) and HAM radios had the same not-rescue-friendly issues as Satellite phones, albeit without the service fees. I kept looking and eventually hit on the SPOT device and their service, and the associated SpotAdventures site. After researching a ton more, I decided this was the thing for me.

spot-gps-satellite-messenger.jpg

First let me say what this device is not: This device is NOT a beacon. It is not something that will broadcast your location directly to local rescue personnel. It will not work in a cave, or under heavy cover, in buildings or under snow. If you're a serious backbacker who might find yourself unable to press a button (serious injury) and/or unable to move to areas with a clear shot to the sky, this is NOT for you.

This device is a GPS with a radio. In its most basic form, this device will radio in your GPS location from anywhere on the globe, back to SPOT's headquarters. SPOT will then contact local rescue services and dispatch them to your location. Unlike a beacon, you are never in direct contact with your rescue party!

I'm not a serious backpacker. I don't plan to leave my Raptor behind, unless in the most extreme life threatening circumstances. And even then, I'll be carrying the SPOT (which sends your location in every 20 minutes), staying out in the open hoping to be found. So for my "rescue" purposes, the SPOT is a good fit.

The SPOT also offers a couple features I liked; namely the "I'm OK"/"I need help" messages and tracking functions. The "I'm OK"/"I need help" message ability is a way for me to press a button on the device, and alert my preconfigured contacts that "I'm Ok!". Basically, its a way to send a message (via text and email) direct to my friends and family letting them know all is well. Peace of mind.

The "I need help" function works exactly as the "I'm OK" feature, however it sends a different preconfigured message along with my GPS coordinates, to a separate contact list. This is pretty cool in that I can let my friends/family know I'm in trouble, but not in a life threatening situation. SPOT is not alerted via the "I need help" function; they won't sent local rescue and therefore you won't get stuck with a huge helicopter and rescue effort bill for, say, running out of gas. I've worked it with my contacts, basically telling them that if they see this message, they need to get someone to help me but also that there's no great rush or immediate life threatening emergency. If there was, I'd be using the SOS button and getting local rescue involved (via SPOT HQ).

The tracking feature should be fun. I plan to get it going so that you guys can track our progress thru The Mojave Road trip (via a dedicated Google Maps page). You'll be able to pull up that page and watch, and see just where we are. The track log is updated every 10 minutes.

Now all this doesn't come cheap. Unlike PLB's, there is a service fee (paying the SPOT people to maintain the service and work with local rescue if needed). The device runs $150-160, and the yearly service fee is $99 ($49 more per year for tracking). A PLB device can run $500-800 but carries no service fee, HAM radios can cost upwards of $1k and require a license to operate, and a Satellite phone can run several thousand for the device and carries with it substantial monthly service fees (or prepaid service fees) of $40-60 per month as well as usage fees of several dollars per minute of use. So you really need to think about what your pain threshold is for cost, and what exactly you want out of something like this.

I read a ton of reviews and comparisons that declared the SPOT device a "gizmo" "gimmick" or "toy". And in some sense, I understand that. For the die hard guy who's 'out there' on his own for weeks at a time, I don't think a SPOT device is a good fit as their only device. A PLB is what I would carry in those cases; its a serious tool designed to get you help and save your life in every situation imaginable.

On the other hand, while the SPOT device is designed to serve as a life line, when compared to a PLB there's more chance it won't work. Or to put it another way, you need to (be uninjured enough to) think more, and make sure you can see the sky and can press a relatively small button. And for that "risk", you also get added features that may or may not appeal to you. In my case, the "risk" is worth it.

Can't wait to get out there and try the tracker out! I'll get a new thread going with those details as we draw nearer to heading out.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's where I plan to leave the SPOT for the duration of the trip:

Spot1.jpg

Seems to hold signal very well and all test messages (and track) logs I've sent so far have been successful.

Wow, lucky shot! You can see three lights lit on the device. These lights flash for about 1/3 of a second, every 5 seconds or so.

The top green is the message light saying the last message sent successfully (green = success, red = fail)
The middle green is the power light
The bottom green is the "tracking enabled" indicator.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a pretty cool little device that certainly serves a very useful purpose. From what I have read, IMO, it is better than a PLB in that friends can assist before rescue is summoned. I don't have the article but apparently there have been quite a few yuppie campers/backpackers that have used the PLB in non-life threatening situations thus wasting resources and manpower.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a pretty cool little device that certainly serves a very useful purpose. From what I have read, IMO, it is better than a PLB in that friends can assist before rescue is summoned. I don't have the article but apparently there have been quite a few yuppie campers/backpackers that have used the PLB in non-life threatening situations thus wasting resources and manpower.
Yeah that's a great point. I wanted to be able to ask for help, without freaking everybody out. I mean, the truth is I'm trusting a mechanical device (the Raptor) with my safety 'out there'. And while I don't expect any problems, stuff happens... so the question I had was, what do I do if I'm broken down? Do I call 911 (aka throw the switch on a PLB)? Or is there a way to shoot a message to my friends that says, basically, "call the local off road tow service and get 'em out here"? The SPOT would seem to answer that question.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You beat me to it but great write up :clap:

The wife and I was thinking about this device a while back when some mountain climbers got lost in a storm. A lot of places I think are starting to rent PLB devices. So I started looking into devices since I hike a lot and came across the SPOT device. Anyhow, I came to the conclusion that the SPOT device could also prove to be an invaluable tool for off roading...especially those of use off roading down near the border.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a quick update:

I've been playing with the tracking. Overall it seems to work well, but 10 minute updates is WAY to slow for the Raptor. We'll be fine for the Mojave Road trip (very low speed trek), but I think in a place like Borrego, the tracking would probably be more confusing that helpful. The Raptor can cover a LOT of ground in 10 minutes.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a quick update:

I've been playing with the tracking. Overall it seems to work well, but 10 minute updates is WAY to slow for the Raptor. We'll be fine for the Mojave Road trip (very low speed trek), but I think in a place like Borrego, the tracking would probably be more confusing that helpful. The Raptor can cover a LOT of ground in 10 minutes.

At least it gives concerned parties a starting point though. If the SPOT continuously updates every ten minutes, well let's just say most people won't be ready to come and rescue you in 10 minutes. Also, say you hit the Assistance Button (not the SOS) would it give your current lat/lon at the time you press the button?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At least it gives concerned parties a starting point though. If the SPOT continuously updates every ten minutes, well let's just say most people won't be ready to come and rescue you in 10 minutes. Also, say you hit the Assistance Button (not the SOS) would it give your current lat/lon at the time you press the button?
Oh no doubt. I was more referring to the "fun" factor of this device. SPOT charges an additional $49 per year for the tracking features; you do not need to sign up for tracking feature (its optional). If you plan to run high speed desert all day long, it might not be worth it.

The "safety" features are three fold: 1) SOS/911, 2) Help and 3) OK <-those three will run you $99 a year and are required.

The "tracking" feature remains active until you cancel it, sending your location every 10 minutes (for up to 14 consecutive days on a fresh set of batterys)

The "SOS/911" feature remains active until you cancel it, sending your location every 20 minutes (for up to 7 consecutive days on a fresh set of batterys)

The "Help" and the "OK" features are one shot; you press a button, it sends the message. But it does not continue to send the message. (it will send up to 1900 messages on a fresh set of batterys)

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good idea. I especially like the "I'm OK" function... a few years ago, I took my boys on a float/camping trip... we couldn't make the pickup point (Long story <G>) and my wife made about 4 trips out to pick us up, at 50 miles per round trip. My cell phone was working just enough for her to answer and then it would lose connection. She would say "Hello" and hear "Sher...y... crackle crackle hisss" - she didn't know if the next words were going to be "We're OK" or "The bear ATE Michael and is working on Ethan!" <GG> Would have LOVED to have one of these then.

Falcon

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BigJ, or others
What are your thoughts of this product now that time has past by?
Now they have the spot connect and app, any advantage/disadvantage. There looks be another added fee, but you could text (little) even when out of cell coverage.
Was also wondering if this could be powered by the truck, with reducer and mounted semi-inconspicuously and if you set the tracking on each day and if stollen could help find our trucks???

Lou