Brake Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steal braided lines will get the mush out of the brakes, but also step up to a DOT-5 FLUID, could use DOT-4, but DOT-5 would be the way to go, higher heat handling than DOT 3 AND 4, ALSO silcon base, will not harm paint if you ever rupture a brake line or spill it.
Also make sure the lines are DOT, some are some aren't, just to cover your ass god forbid of an accident, dont need any insurence saying you alt your brakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlbinoRaptor

AlbinoRaptor

Reaction score
Steal braided lines will get the mush out of the brakes, but also step up to a DOT-5 FLUID, could use DOT-4, but DOT-5 would be the way to go, higher heat handling than DOT 3 AND 4, ALSO silcon base, will not harm paint if you ever rupture a brake line or spill it.
Also make sure the lines are DOT, some are some aren't, just to cover your ass god forbid of an accident, dont need any insurence saying you alt your brakes.

That is true! Will I have to change the reservoir or can I just bleed the fluid and refill with DOT-5 and DOT approved brake lines?

I'l plan on just doing that instead.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to flush the lines of the old fluid, dont need to purchase anything but enough fluid to do the flush.

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just do ATE super blue or Typ 200 amber (only difference is the color). Another good choice is Motul RBF600. I would not do a DOT 5 silicone fluid. It is not compatible with what is already in there and you would need to remove every drop of old fluid. The ATE fluid should be more than you ever need on the street, even for this truck.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend R1concepts premium cross drilled and slotted rotrs matched with Posi Quiet Ceramic pads. You will NOT find better quality and value anywhere. Period. If needed I can show you pictures of how I know...

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Ok, I will elaborate a little further. I have a 3/4 ton Duramax that I USE to haul Christmas tress and farm good with. For several years I was replacing the stock brakes EVERY January after the tree hauling season because they would wind up metal to metal all the way around. In 2008 I the package recommended above and not only did they survive the season, I ran another year and another tree hauling season with them. So two years, two hauling seasons, then I had to quit hauling because of a physical disability. But those brakes are still on my truck today. Now, the truck hasn't been driven much in the past year due to engine problems I experienced after receiving EFILive tuning that had so many errors that it killed injectors and several other things. Anyway, I have not had to replace them since and they still have 80% of the pads all the way around. Given the the picture below is only one example of the loads I would haul with it, this shows that they perform flawlessly on a 3/4 ton diesel while hauling a LOT more than the truck was rated to haul. My "average" load weighed in at 30-35K lbs total gross and I hauled them out of Sparta NC down two main routes. Highways 21 and 18 south out of Sparta, both of which are 6-9% grades with very dangerous switch backs.

Add this to the fact that the cost of the package for the Raptor can't be beat by any other brand and you have the absolute most cost effective performance brake upgrades available that will offer not only improved brake performance and longevity, but unmatched value as well.

100_0424.jpg

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much are the brakes CLKelley? Are we talking EBC money or Brembo money? I'm asking because I'm about to need new pads so I am going to upgrade at that time. Right now my top choice is EBC rotors and EBC yellow stuff pads. I'm not going to spend the money on Brembo's. I have first hand experience with Brembo's and they are amazing high performance brakes, but I can't afford them.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're talkin' less than $650 shipped for everything for all four corners. Front and rear rotors and pads (pads include new caliper hardware) Believe me, I was referring people on other forums to them long before I became a dealer. They found out about me referring people to them and asked me to be a dealer for them. I didn't begin promoting them just because I am a dealer.

If you can afford the Brembos, they are great choices, I by the way can also sell Brembo, Baer, SSBC, EBC and others, but I promote R1Concepts because of my unparalleled experience with them and the fact the you simply cannot beat the pricing overall. I also make less money on them than I do if I sell the others.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do NOT use dot5 fluid in your raptor.
Dot5 brake fluid is not hydroscopic and is not compatible with dot 3 or dot 4 fluid. Dot 5 is also not recommended for abs systems. Please be careful in in your recommendation. People might just follow that and cause damage or worst, get in an accident.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do NOT use dot5 fluid in your raptor.
Dot5 brake fluid is not hydroscopic and is not compatible with dot 3 or dot 4 fluid. Dot 5 is also not recommended for abs systems. Please be careful in in your recommendation. People might just follow that and cause damage or worst, get in an accident.

You know, I was so caught up thunking about the hard patts that I didn't even catch that. He spraks the truth. Good catch!