Debate about bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bakkbakk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let us have a debate on the safety of Baja bumpers on the street.

I had the question in the middle of someone elses thread so I thought id start a new one.

Mainly what happens with a prerunner style bumper and especially one that has had its frame horns taken off.

Since this is what I am ready to pull the trigger on.

As far as safety/safety of losing the frame horns for impact/angle of impact(also regarding damage to the truck)/ head on impact/insurance/legality (my state has no specific law but maybe federal-only stating this for lawsuit purposes(you never know))

You or anyone you know have accidents with these things please share.

Last edited:

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question. Here is my assumption: seeing as my stock bumper folded up like a tortilla when I jumped it in the sand, you will fare a hell of a lot better with a tube bumper. Way stronger, and more likely to protect your engine bay. I see most of the good bumpers as an upgrade over stock.

AggieSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're worried about liability id check with your insurance agent and see what they say. The stock front bumpers are meant to somewhat crumple though, so adding a stronger bumper may counteract the original design somewhat

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How are airbags affected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airbags are not effected as accelerometers are what determine airbag deployment and those are not in the bumpers.

When it comes to safety, you are basically trimming off the 5mph crumple zones. The frame the bumper attaches to is only about 90 thousandths thick and will still be able to crumple upon a harsh impact. When you opt for a prerunner style bumper that eliminates those annoying frame horns, you will gain both the look most are seeking, and the ever so important approach angle. Increasing the approach angle typically helps reduce damage to the vehicle as witnessed over the past 3 years worth of TRR events. Trucks that were stuffed typically found themselves with hammered bumpers. Trucks that have bumpers with the frames cut fared much better with far less cosmetic damage. Jeff stuffed the SVC truck this year so bad he pushed back the lower chassis pivot, but suffered no bumper damage.

As far as the legal issues go, I cant really speak to that. I'm not an attorney and I'm sure everything can be litigated one way or another. I do however know of multiple trucks that have been sold or traded-in in California with no issues what so ever. I really don't believe it's much of an issue, but that doesn't mean one couldn't possibly arise down the road. Lets face it, you technically are breaking the law when you are gong 56mph in a 55mph zone yet rarely get pulled over for it.

My .02, cut those hideous frame horns and transform the front end of that beast. If you offroad that thing it will save you more headaches in the long run that it will ever create.

Thanks
Jarrett

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I was in an accident with one of ADDs first bumpers and it demolished the uninsured drivers car but only left some cosmetic damage on the bumper. Their car was totaled and my insurance was going to cover the repair of my bumper but it was only a few bucks more than my deductible so I decided to avoid putting a claim through.

In regards to trade in with cutting the frame I was told it was a no go simply because the local Ford dealer wants to get the vehicles certified when they bring them in. I'm sure a place like Carmax or some other type of dealer wouldn't know any better.

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was in an accident with one of ADDs first bumpers and it demolished the uninsured drivers car but only left some cosmetic damage on the bumper. Their car was totaled and my insurance was going to cover the repair of my bumper but it was only a few bucks more than my deductible so I decided to avoid putting a claim through.

In regards to trade in with cutting the frame I was told it was a no go simply because the local Ford dealer wants to get the vehicles certified when they bring them in. I'm sure a place like Carmax or some other type of dealer wouldn't know any better.

Shit Stoner I told you you went to the wrong dealer lol.