Window tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much is a ceramic compared to just normal tint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure but think it’s around the same. The moon roof wasn $145 and the rest was $500. Moonroof and whinaheld takes a lot of material. I guess cost depends on the shop.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see. Thanks for the heads up. Question though. If I like the tint darkness on the rear windows but want ceramic tint on everything but the windshield. Is there like a clear ceramic UV blocker I can put on the rear windows and just have the fronts to match? Or do you have to order the truck without any stained glass if that’s even possible ? Just thinking the factory tints / glass is probably 20% and I wouldn’t want to go darker than that

Last edited:

salts001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see. Thanks for the heads up. Question though. If I like the tint darkness on the rear windows but want ceramic tint on everything but the windshield. Is there like a clear ceramic UV blocker I can put on the rear windows and just have the fronts to match? Or do you have to order the truck without any stained glass if that’s even possible ? Just thinking the factory tints / glass is probably 20% and I wouldn’t want to go darker than that

I would probably go with Llumar Air 80 or 90 over the factory rear for what you trying to achieve. I had Air 80 on the windshield of my previous vehicle and you can barely notice any shade difference.

guyzilla

Reaction score
i have an appointment this saturday to tint all my windows (sunroof, back window, windshield and all four side windows) with air80 ceramic. i'm gonna look at the ceramic 50 while i am there as well but GA laws prohibit it on the windshield.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have an appointment this saturday to tint all my windows (sunroof, back window, windshield and all four side windows) with air80 ceramic. i'm gonna look at the ceramic 50 while i am there as well but GA laws prohibit it on the windshield.

I’m in Atlanta and have had the full windshield tinted on many of my vehicles w/o any issues with the LEOs.

On the Raptor, I chose to try out the Llumar Stratos F1 film on ALL the windows. On the rears, they applied 35% film. 20% on the two front windows. 50% on the windshield and 5% on the sunroof (I have a 1 yr old daughter and want to keep as much heat and sun off her face in the car seat when the sunroof panel is open).

M3LELENA

Reaction score

could you ask the shop what roll size is need to do 4 windows, sunroof & back window please?
I need to buy online and they come in different roll size:
20"x100', 40" x 100', 60"x100
not sure what I need to buy TIA

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure but think it’s around the same. The moon roof wasn $145 and the rest was $500. Moonroof and whinaheld takes a lot of material. I guess cost depends on the shop.

In Texas, I was quoted $285 for normal tint and $435 for ceramic on all windows (minus the windshield). They said the darkness of the tint did not change the price. They also quoted me $30 a panel for ceramic on the sunroof, so a total of $60 extra.

Dee

Reaction score
In Texas, I was quoted $285 for normal tint and $435 for ceramic on all windows (minus the windshield). They said the darkness of the tint did not change the price. They also quoted me $30 a panel for ceramic on the sunroof, so a total of $60 extra.

Fyi, you can tint the front windshield in TX now. Im in Corpus and I have 70% on the windshield. Laws changed few years back. Makes a difference and I would recommend it. Also, use static cling film to attach your registration sticker to the windshield if you tint it.

Dr.McNinja

Reaction score
Fyi, you can tint the front windshield in TX now. Im in Corpus and I have 70% on the windshield. Laws changed few years back. Makes a difference and I would recommend it. Also, use static cling film to attach your registration sticker to the windshield if you tint it.

Nope.
From TxDPS
(1) Windshields.
(A) The AS-1 area is the portion of the windshield based on driver seating configuration where the driver must have forward visibility.
(B) The windshield may also have a glazing shade band for driver comfort. This shading band is generally above the AS-1 area.
(C) An AS-1 line indicator, if present, denotes the boundary of the AS-1 area and the shading band. If the AS-1 line indicator is not present, generally, the shade band should not extend further than approximately five inches from the top of the windshield.
(D) The safety glass used for all vehicle windshields below the AS-1 line must have a 70% light transmission value.
(E) The glazing in the shade band area may have less than a 70% light transmission.
(c) After-market sunscreening devices. Standards and specifications described in this subsection apply to after-market sunscreening devices applied in conjunction with window glazing (vehicle safety glass) meeting federal standards.
(1) All installed after-market sunscreening devices will be measured in combination with the vehicle's original equipment (window glass).
(2) Windshields. No after-market sunscreening devices shall be installed, affixed, or applied to a vehicle windshield below the AS-1 line, or five inches from the top of the windshield if the AS-1 line annotation is not present.
(A) If an additional sunscreening device is used above the AS-1 area of the windshield, the light transmission value, in combination with the original windshield glazing, must be 25% or more.
(B) The luminous reflectance of any additional sunscreening devices used above the AS-1 area of the windshield must be 25% or less.
(C) An installed after-market sunscreening device used on the windshield may not be of a red, blue, or amber color.
You can have 70% glass, but you can't tint it to 70% unless it came that way from the factory based on that wording.

Dee

Reaction score
Nope.
From TxDPS

You can have 70% glass, but you can't tint it to 70% unless it came that way from the factory based on that wording.

See below

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the windshield if all of the conditions below are met.

Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield.
Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.
A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.

The 70% is considered clear. Ceramic does a great job reflecting heat. All the shops in the area do windshield installs. I have had 4 or 5 vehicles done in Texas including through a Ford dealer twice.

Last edited: