Winch wiring - Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am wanting to install my removable winch to my truck...I got the basic cables, but I thought to myself and remembered people in the past wiring a winch to the 30 amp switch in our trucks...I was wondering if they changed the fuses for a higher amp draw? Or did they just install it as is? I have the option of just wiring it normally to the battery but I want to wire it to our 30 amp switch and want to know if it is even possible? Would be cool if so!

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I looked at Warn's site and their winch pulling 9000 lbs is drawing 460 amps. Direct to the battery is the only way.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually it is not... if you want to use a switch run it to a relay that can withstand the correct draw and run that to the battery.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The relays might already be built in to the winch and all you'd need to do is emulate the remote switch functions with switches in the cab?

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that on warns site yesterday, but I will give them a call tomorrow to see how it's actually done...

Doesn't make sense to me for our small alternators to be able to withstand close to 500 amp draw. I have seen somebody wire a warn winch to our OEM switches in the cab...on the other forum about a year ago.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And when you look up heavy duty auto alternators, the most they can withstand is like 250 amps..

HDPSI POWERLINE Alternators

No way in hell could our alternators coupled to a normal truck battery withstand straight 500 amps...So warn more than likely has relays or even some type of system to absorb those amps prior to it hitting your trucks battery and alternator.

Here are some pics of my hitch mounted winch housing..I'm actually digging this considering all of it can just be removed with a pin and a simple plug and play...unlike the perm installed winches adding unnecessary weight during normal use.

2efe49a2.png

7d97e6d5.png

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
actually it is not... if you want to use a switch run it to a relay that can withstand the correct draw and run that to the battery.

The relays might already be built in to the winch and all you'd need to do is emulate the remote switch functions with switches in the cab?

That is true. I took his question as running the 2 gauge wire to the switch panel. If you wanted to use the switch panel for control, you would have to use two of them, one to pay out winch line and the other to reel it in. Most winches use a 3 position switch as opposed to the 2 position on the panel.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have a few ideas and I think I can get it done, but I will have to utilize 2 switches in the cab, one for in and one for out

I'm just concerned about the amp draw...500 amps doesn't seem like "actual" draw

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just Got off the phone with warn, they said the control pendant at best pulls 3 to 4 amps...so yes, I will wire it to switch 1 being "out" and switch 2 being "in"

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the battery is rated at about 650 cca IIRC... assuming that the alternator gives you 150 amps that is a total of 800... not sure why you do not think this system will support that winch...