Whipple issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question: why will Whipple NOT unlock the tune? Are they afraid another Tuner will mess with it and try to blame Whipple if something goes wrong... Are they afraid the tune will be stolen by custom tuners?

Sending them the ECU for tune updates, changes, etc... Would be a deal breaker for me...

IMO...you are paying for the SC, which includes their tune...therefore it is yours and should be unlocked...I would be happy to sign any paperwork stating Whipple is not liable for any changes to their tune or if the truck is retuned with another Tune...

No sir..I don't like that one bit...

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not just Whipple locking their Tune!!! BTW

This is no big deal taking out your PCM, it's three plugs and two stud bolts, takes two minutes!!!

Yes you will lose two to three days of use. but it's worth it. And the Tune is Guaranteed for a Stock Raptor no exhaust mods (for now).

And when it comes to law suits, you can't knowingly allow someone to get hurt or killed by your actions. Case in point Firestone and Explorers.

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just Whipple locking their Tune!!! BTW

This is no big deal taking out your PCM, it's three plugs and two stud bolts, takes two minutes!!!

Yes you will lose two to three days of use. but it's worth it. And the Tune is Guaranteed for a Stock Raptor no exhaust mods (for now).

And when it comes to law suits, you can't knowingly allow someone to get hurt or killed by your actions. Case in point Firestone and Explorers.

I am glad to are fine with pulling out your ECM, packaging I up shipping it off and who knows how it is treated and oh year...that trip you had planned got to put that one on hold...not me...

As far as the Firestone analogy...complete separate cirmstances and issues...you could make the case that selling someone anything could kill them... i think of achol and smokes...we have something called contributory negligence...
a good lawyer could make a cases that having that much horsepower is dangerous in the first place...

I guess if the job was done correct the first time this is just an academic discussion?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright, not the best analogy

Point I was trying to make is if you were able to remove the speed limiter and knowing the Raptor's driveshaft can fail at high speeds, not to mention the 112mph on the tires,
these are big concerns wouldn't you think?

As for taking out the PCM, I and hunderds of other's are fine with it.
Also to point out your smart phone is more sophisticated than the Program Control Modular. There is nothing to be afraid of.

And if I spent hunders of thousands of dollars making something I wouldn't want anyone taking it and selling it as their own, would you?

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my point...that I might screw something up taking out the ECU or damage during shipping...

I would obviously be willing to do anything to keep my truck running correctly and with out causing damage...

I would think Whipple would be able to devise better alternative than pulling out the ECU and shipping it off...with the hope it returns fixed...

That being said...I would just want it fixed....

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what it looks like, there are no moving parts, it's all chips

PCM 1.jpg

PCM 2.jpg

Water tight closed incasement

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I could handle that one...thanks

Now all I need is the SC...

Cubdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My auto start is not working, hasn't worked since installing the Whipple, not suer if its just a coincidence. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Hank

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Alright this thread is getting long so I am going to summarize.

Low boost and fuel trims 10+. Vacuum leak on rear of blower due to loose bolt. Problem corrected. Boost is normal and trims are much better.

Ambient air stuck at 60. Whipple has corrected the issue in an updated tune. Call Whipple!

Surging idle. Its in the tune. Basically the tune is too sensitive and is over correcting trying to smooth the idle. It is actively being fine "tuned". Mine has corrected itself on its own with the new tune. Also had a slight exhaust leak at the manifold which helped I'm sure. Long term trims don't show leaner bank anymore(7-8% compared to 3%).

Autostart issue? I will check tomorrow. I rarely use it!

Exhaust mods causing issue? No. Required back pressure is achieved from the cats and exhaust manifolds. I asked Mike before hand. It is not designed for it but is not out of its limits to adjust for. It is based off of the GT500 tune! The tune is the best there is and even compensates for the upgrade kit which is a 3.5" pulley vs 3.65". Not sure exactly how much boost it added but Mike said around 1 psi due to the larger intercooler. I'm not looking to start a forum war here so if you don't want to believe this then don't. Call Whipple. Maybe they found something new!? I seen no noticeable difference in short term trims while opening and closing the cutout.

Issues here are resolved and I am a happy customer. I learned a lot between my calls to Whipple and various tuners so it was worth the time I put into correcting these issues. Thanks to all who replied!

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

2gt58nb.jpg
Heres what we are working on BTW. =)

Last edited: