2011 w/ 2.9l Stage 1 Whipple Surging issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Got the truck dyno'd with the revised tune and was pleasantly surprised with the power it made being a Stage 1 Kit (521whp/525wtrq), however the dyno shop had some comments/suspicions regarding the tune id wanted to run by y'all.

They mentioned it looked like the tune was a bit aggressive with the timing and they were seeing signs of detonation at the exhaust, we didn't see what the A/F ratios were etc as we didn't data log it but they said going off the dyno graph it looked like overall the tune was alright but could lose a few degrees of timing at the top end. I haven't worked with this shop before but have heard nothing but good things so figured itd be worth getting some fresh unbiased opinions.

One other thing of note is ive noticed the truck coughs out a puff of dark smoke on a coldstart, you can see sorta see it in the video I attached. I cant imagine this being normal or a good thing in any circumstance but wasnt sure exactly what would cause it.

Thanks in advance,

View attachment 439307
How many miles again on the truck?
Changing temperature outside may have something to do with that and flashing new tunes.

You can pull timing if you want with the SCT handheld device.
But I would data log with 5Star first, you may have to remove some timing in the hot summer months!!!

OP
OP
2011SilverScab
Reaction score
How many miles again on the truck?
Changing temperature outside may have something to do with that and flashing new tunes.

You can pull timing if you want with the SCT handheld device.
But I would data log with 5Star first, you may have to remove some timing in the hot summer months!!!
~95k currently with around 1k on the Whipple.

Changing temperature definitely makes sense, have around 800 miles on the current tune so would think/hope it learned by now.

Didn't consider having to revise tunes based on season but it does make sense, does raise an interesting question though. Pretty decent chance il be moving soon and going from an altitude of ~300ft to over 7000ft up in the mountains, guessing with a change in air density that drastic it might be worth doing the same?

Thanks

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats reassuring, have you had any issues at all with it?
We have had the truck not quite a year yet, I did find the previous owners number and talked to him for an hour or so on the phone. Engine has had no real problems just general maintenance stuff for 170k. The transmission been good also. Quick history original owner forced ford to buy it back at 7k for transmission shifting issues(ford fixed it) sold it back to him he drove it to 13k then the second owner bought it drove it till it to 169k then we got it. witch was good for me because I beat the dealer with the Carfax report. got it cheep.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
~95k currently with around 1k on the Whipple.

Changing temperature definitely makes sense, have around 800 miles on the current tune so would think/hope it learned by now.

Didn't consider having to revise tunes based on season but it does make sense, does raise an interesting question though. Pretty decent chance il be moving soon and going from an altitude of ~300ft to over 7000ft up in the mountains, guessing with a change in air density that drastic it might be worth doing the same?

Thanks
It takes around 50 miles of mixed driving to complete a fuel trim cycle and up to 300 miles for transmission learning cycle.

Normally the PCM will adjust for altitude, but you will see an HP drop due to less dense air.
I would throw that question at 5Star just to make sure.