WEIGHING IN -- 37" Grabber Red Label v. 37" BFG Baja T/A (DOT)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think outlaw told me the Toyo MT Open Country were the hot ticket now days. Is that true? The Toyo website gave them a 2/5 in ice, which is better than the Baja tires. wonder if I'll have to get new rims

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have personal experience with the Grabbers or the Projects, but the Toyo MT's I had in 37's on my last FX4 and the wear was amazing for a mud tire. Not only that, but they performed excellent in the snow, mud, rain, sand, etc. It was on my daily driver and offroad rig. I wanted to go with Grabbers or Projects for looks on my Raptor, but after reading all this I think I am going to save up and go back with the Toyos again since I drive a lot of highway miles too. I just cannot save up and get something other than these POS stockers soon enough. In my own experiences, I've never had such a ****** tire on any vehicle as these OEM BFG's.

metroman

Reaction score
I have been running the stock AT BFG's and then two sets of Toyo MT's. I have really run all the tires very hard in the dirt and gravel. I have to say the truck was more stable in high speed dirt road turns with the AT's. however, with the Toyo MT's I was able to make it up some hill climbs that the AT really had trouble with. Both AT and MT seem to preform about the same in snow and ice for me (I live at 8,000 feet elevation).

I have to say I am disappointed with the sidewall performance of the Toyo MT. I have had 5 flats in the last year. All were side wall failures. In two cases the side walls contact rocks or unknown objects and very holes were torn into the sidewalls. No loss of control and wipe outs. I was able to just slow down and stop. The other 3 flats were Sage brush "spears" to the sidewalls. In these cases I was able to pull out the 1/4 dia spear of dried Sage and plug the hole. Yes I know you are not supposed to plug sidewall holes but so far it has not been an issue and the plugs held (even for jumping it).

I was thinking about trying BFG Baja's, but I have a feeling the sidewalls will not hold up much better compared to the added cost of the tire. We are talking one added layer of nylon in the sidewall. I do think that will do much for me. Maybe I would have had 3 or 4 flats instead of 5 but I would still get flats.

Just my 2 cents

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the ice/snow performance of the General's, I will listen to our Canadian Brethren who say that the General Grabbers work great.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
On the ice/snow performance of the General's, I will listen to our Canadian Brethren who say that the General Grabbers work great.

A 6000 LB truck with 4WD and knobby tires is always going to be "good" in the snow. If you want good tires for ice and snow, Generals are not the answer. Sure, you will get along fine with them because of the reasons already stated, but they aren't snow tires.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2