Wanted Mid travel until I priced HM Long Travel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fully priced out a Camburg "Long travel kit", then was told to check out HM.

I looked at Camburg, SVC, Foutz, Evil, Blitz and a few others. I did not like the look of a bent or crooked arm as some have, I know it is cheaper and faster to manufacture but I wanted a specific look. This shouldn’t have mattered as performance should have been my focus. Some call theirs long travel but use the stock shock bucket and a 8” stroke shock, W?F? I wanted long travel but needed to understand all the “Marketing” verbiage they use on their sites. The way some websites are set up, it seems that a “Bolt on kit” is the lowest cost, UNTIL you add the shocks, bypass shocks, bump kit with bump stops and bypass shock mounts, extended axel shaft’s etc. Some come with a new spindle, and some do not. That’s when you start to head down the Long Travel vs Mid Travel and 8” stroke vs 12” stroke rabbit hole. This is when the real learning began. For example, I was considering a Camburg or SVC front suspension. Camburg called their kit Long Travel, but it is only 1.5” wider than stock per side and uses a 8” stroke shock and the stock shock bucket which is prone to cracking under heavy use. Today the Camburg kit costs $16,572 for KING Coil overs, bypass shocks, slapper bump kit with king bumps and bypass shock mount. It uses the fragile stock spindle. It looks like they were designing a new spindle, not sure if they finished it. ADD made a spindle that was around $3K. Now an apple-to-apple comparison is more like $19,572. I do like the way their kit is with the slapper arm and you can slowly add to it. but that is where the similarities end. That is what a TRUE long travel system made from 4130 chromoly with 12” stroke shocks, complete chromoly shock mounts that replace the stock fragile shock buckets, a chromoly brace that ties both shock mounts together and comes with a spindle too. Also what material is each part made from, Only a few use 4130 chromoly on all components, If their site doesn’t say 4130 chromoly, run.

Full build thread here.

Last edited: