Mid Travel vs Stock Width

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattl600

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HM also allows for a 10” shock stroke further down the arm. Less bump steer and almost acts as a sway bar. HM kit by far is the better way to go.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HM also allows for a 10” shock stroke further down the arm. Less bump steer and almost acts as a sway bar. HM kit by far is the better way to go.
The HM kit handles the best in the street and kicks but offload. Unless you own one, you can't comprehend how much better they perform than the rest. It's unreal what the truck can do.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HM is definitely interesting.

The picture you showed is their LT kit which is like 94" wide, (10" over stock 5" per side). They do have a 91" Mid Travel kit but again, it still runs custom shock towers, what looks like 10" stroke shocks but could be 8" stroke with dual rate springs.

I do agree that performance will be better if you cut out the stock bucket. I think the OP was looking for a more economical, not as wide option though. That's Evil and Camburg only (1.5 to 2" over stock) and Evil really if you want a strong setup without using stock spindles. Blitzkrieg, RPG, SVC, RHF, Foutz are all wider I believe (3 to 3.5" wider over stock per side).

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HM is definitely interesting.

The picture you showed is their LT kit which is like 94" wide, (10" over stock 5" per side). They do have a 91" Mid Travel kit but again, it still runs custom shock towers, what looks like 10" stroke shocks but could be 8" stroke with dual rate springs.

I do agree that performance will be better if you cut out the stock bucket. I think the OP was looking for a more economical, not as wide option though. That's Evil and Camburg only (1.5 to 2" over stock) and Evil really if you want a strong setup without using stock spindles. Blitzkrieg, RPG, SVC, RHF, Foutz are all wider I believe (3 to 3.5" wider over stock per side).
HM does have a +2" per side kit. Yes they replace the stock shock bucket. Look at all the cracked stock shock buckets when adding Geiser or Eibach springs. The trucks are not designed for it. If you plan on driving at any decent pace off-road, replacing the stock bucket is the only way to remove that failure point. If you actually contact Kevin at HM, the price difference is only a few hundred dollars more than the mentioned kits when comparing a complete kit. Spindle, Coil over and Bypass shocks, axle and bump etc... But the performance is the next level. Unless you have driven a SVC, RPG etc. and a HM built truck, You do not understand. Here is one in process a year or so ago that I took a picture of. +2" McNeil fenders were used. My truck runs on 40's, no sway bar is needed on any HM kits due the geometry of the suspension. No sway on the street. It blows my mind how fast she rips in the canyons, on freaking 40's. Then how incredible it is off-road.

HM, When you know, you know!

Attachments

• IMG-3247.JPEG
    IMG-3247.JPEG
    199.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you share a picture of your truck on the 40s? are you running the 94" Race or the 91" Mid? The picture you just showed is the 94" race with +4 McNeils. What is the cost for the kit minus install? Also I haven't spoken with HM but it looks like they may need to have the truck for install and cannot just ship the kit which makes it harder for those of us on the east coast.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, wanted to note that I do not consider myself an expert in this as I am still learning and figuring out all of the differences between various kits. My main concern is that this kit might be a bit too expert for someone that is looking to get into an entry level or mid level kit, like this thread is suggesting or even the economical mid travel thread.

However, I do think a comparison thread noting all mid travel and long travel kits on the market for our trucks could be great. A good resource for those wanting to learn the various in's and outs for all kits. Similar to what I am trying to do with the fiberglass thread in the main 2nd gen forum. Let me know if y'all think that is a good idea and I will start a thread and list out the various kits available on the market now.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lisa has a 95" race kit installed. It fits perfectly under the McNeil 1 piece front. Before I ordered my kit, I priced out a complete Camburg kit with KING coilovers, bypass shock and mount, slapper bump stop and a ADD spindle. HM's kit was only a few hundred more than it. Also don't believe all the marketing hype on travel numbers. One last point I'll make is also what material is each component made of? Not all companies use Chromoly for all parts they manufacture. HM does.IMG-4315.jpg

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you share costs of kit minus installation? I may call HM for some information, just don't think they will sell unless they install and me being on the east coast that wouldn't work I may be mistaken however.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you share costs of kit minus installation? I may call HM for some information, just don't think they will sell unless they install and me being on the east coast that wouldn't work I may be mistaken however.
I would call Kevin for pricing. My truck also has Sprung Under, Fuel cell, Currie rear end, EWR 10" third member, 6 piston Wilwoods on all 4 corners. A video is coming on my truck in the next few weeks. We just did some filming on last Friday.

You can Call Kevin @ (951) 595-0105.
Or message him @ https://instagram.com/hmsuspension_mr_m?igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==