Mid Travel vs Stock Width

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brocephusmax

Reaction score
I have an RST18 on the way and will be upgrading to 3.0s up front when I do the rear bypasses. Would I be okay just adding the RPG upper and lower control arms in the stock width that can have the added bypass up front? The truck is a daily driver and I have to drive thru chemical plants that sometimes have narrow gaps when there is a lot of work going on and I don't know if I can get away with the added width. I am planning on doing some Baja trips in the future and want to be able to go a little harder than just a stock set up. The appeal is being able to do this in stages plus not needing to do fiberglass as well. Appreciate any input or tips from anyone that has done this.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So many different ways. Start with, what’s your budget? Seriously, mid travel all said and done is going to run you $30 - $35K. And if you plan on running 37s, you’ll need glass, unless you do a ton of trimming, and IMO, easier to just run ADV glass.

A cheaper alternative is Fox 3.0s at all 4 corners, then get the SDI EClik system with a revalve. Way way cheaper than mid travel.

That’s what I run, and I’m very happy with it. Works well on road when set to comfort, works well off road in Baja set to sport.

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
IMG_3940.jpeg

I have a gen 3, but I ran a similar set up on my gen 2.

On my gen 3 I run the above pictured set up. Fox race series, and full RPG stock width. I as well run the SDI Eclik as Hollywood also spoke about. Its a beyond nice set up and Im fully happy with it. Been very nice and rebounds off a jump like nothing.

My gen 2, I ran the same set up without the secondary shock. I do feel the secondary shock makes a huge difference as well. But if you arent going off crazy jumps or whoop sections in Baja you might not notice the gain.

We’re a vendor for all of this. Everything on my truck we deal and I was the first one to Baja test a stock width RPG kit. If you have any specific questions or want quotes on anything shoot me a message.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brocephusmax

Brocephusmax

Reaction score
I'm running 37" BFG all terrains and they seem pretty small so I figured I could probably get away with just pinch weld and some trimming. At the least I might go ahead and do fiberglass up front but stick with stock width. I appreciate the input. Glad to hear the stock width with a bypass works well.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
once you have the RST18 the front will want mid travel
e clik won’t be possible after RST 18
i’m doing king secondary with stock width and boxed steel uca, lca as you are suggesting but it’s a compromise,
mid travel ftw
get on the wait list for the foutz boxed steel spindle with double shear tie rod connection

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evil manufacturing and camburg both hand mid travel kits that aren’t that wide. Evil is 2” wider than stock. Camburg is 1.5” wider. Then run adv or McNeil +2 so you keep it from getting too wide. That would the a good compromise

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evil manufacturing and camburg both hand mid travel kits that aren’t that wide. Evil is 2” wider than stock. Camburg is 1.5” wider. Then run adv or McNeil +2 so you keep it from getting too wide. That would the a good compromise

HM also has one available and it’s arguably the best designed kit available. It’s only around $700 more but the performance difference especially vs the Camburg is astonishing. There is absolutely no comparison.IMG_3248.jpeg

Last edited:

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice kit. Problem with that kit VS the ones I mentioned. It requires cutting out the stock shock bucket and running a shock hoop for main and secondary. It does provide better performance but for those not wanting to go that far. It’s too much.

Evil and camburg both use the stock shock bucket and can use factory after market shocks VS custom sized coilovers

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thought and was actually going to get the Camburg kit. Then I spoke with a shop owner who has serviced and driven all of these and others as well. I asked him if he was going to build his own raptor, which would he choose? He said the only kit he would accept is HM. He owns a pre runner built by HM and it’s the best handling pre runner he’s driven. The HM kits are at a higher level of performance compared to the rest. Those were his words. Now after owning one, I can say that I am thrilled I didn’t get the Camburg kit.