Rear up travel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012SCSVT

Reaction score
Hey guys, working on my truck a little and found out my bump stop kit limits the rear uptravel quite a bit.

Obviously not building a race truck but I like to optimize my small performance package so I'm am doing a little bump stop build.

The issue is the part that clamps onto the fame takes up the same real-estate that the leafs want to occupy the only way to get the travel back is leaf under, or remove the out riggers.

these bump pads are just rested on the axle to square it when I jack it up they are only for the build:

This is the target axle uptravel, you can see that the leaf clears the frame.
20231113_164907.jpg
20231113_164917.jpg

This shows that the bump kit limited the travel by 2.5" due to contact with the frame, but actually the bump stops when installed stopped it prior to contact so it may be 3" less up travel.
20231113_165512.jpg
Hitting on the inside
20231113_165340.jpg

Anyway. Just thought I would share. This is an old kit, but Seems like all the bump stop kits I see online occupy the same space and would be limited is a similar way.

Additional work will be making a new lower mount for the shock and clearancing the bed for the leaf.
20231113_164926.jpg

Last item that may be a good argument is the fact that having this much up will over cycle the spring or go negitive. It dose do this. But I won't know if it's worth it or not unless I give it a try.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@2012SCSVT
WTF!!!!!!!! is this. Did you do this work????? The spring shouldn't be separated with spacers like that. Way wrong!!!!! Are you aware of this??????
If you got the truck like this I am sorry. If you built this death trap please, please,, please STOP!!!! I can't stress how dangerous this setup is.

Last edited:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad someone said something before me cause I was thinking, there is so much wrong that I don't know where to start and I know very little about suspension.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Spring Under leaf packs are available through Deaver Springs; I don't know how well they work on a Raptor but the setup I had on a caged Tacoma worked beautifully. Just a big old "Cush-Monster" feeling. The geometry is very different than stock; the pack is longer, heavier, and has more arch but the ride was plush. Mine had longer shackles too, and I believe it ended up with 14" of usable travel. BTW, the factory Raptor that raced at the Baja 1000 in 2009 used SUA (Spring Under Axle) and finished the race.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys... you have to set up the springs like this for full droop.
I hope this is the case.
Full droop can be achieved by jacking the truck by the frame. Full crush is little more difficult if you are trying to both sides. Articulation can be done with a strap and a jack with stock springs. I have never seen a crush done this way and really doesn't seem safe one old spring being pushed negative. What could go wrong!!!!!

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope this is the case.
Full droop can be achieved by jacking the truck by the frame. Full crush is little more difficult if you are trying to both sides. Articulation can be done with a strap and a jack with stock springs. I have never seen a crush done this way and really doesn't seem safe one old spring being pushed negative. What could go wrong!!!!!

yeah i misspoke...i meant full compression

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah i misspoke...i meant full compression
I think he plans to drive it this way he clearances the spring into bed. some one please tell me I am wrong...I have way to much anxiety over this. hope he come back an explains him self.