Transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ericgulf

Reaction score
I have a 17 raptor. 40,000 miles.
I started having transmission problems about 6-9 months ago. Transmission always shifted hard at times. And would have a little delay in shifting. About 6 months ago truck would down shift to 5-6th gear going 80 down highways all in its own. It would also loose gear on freeway and was like being in neutral then catch 10th and slam into gear really hard. Took truck home. Was leaking transmission fluid under truck.
First time for dealer said seal was bad and fluid was low. Replaced seal. Then took it back again and after several
Times driving it they tore down transmission and rebuilt it. Said metal shavings and parts where touching.

So just got truck back and drive it 4 hrs on highway 70ish outside temperature. And transmission is getting hot almost to red on gauge. Then after slowing down transmission cools. Pulled over smelt transmission fluid burning. Look under truck and see transmission fluid leaking on exhaust and smoking.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Would a after market transmission cooler
fix my issues?
I love my truck. Hate transmission. And hate that ford will only attempt to look at it if the problem can be recreated with them.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Eric.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take it back. Shouldn’t be leaking or getting hot. I wouldn’t do an aftermarket cooler as I could see the dealer saying that’s the reason for the issue. Your still under warranty so let them deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRPRACING

Reaction score
I do remember the 6r80 having a control valve and people having issues with it not flowing. I’m not sure if our 10r80 has one also? I imagine so. It’s probably not opening when at operating temperature.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive it till the transmission is smoked then call them to pick it up off the side of the road. That's what I have to do with mine.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are in or near San Antonio, I had great luck with Gary Conn @ Northside Ford. Gary is a service writer. His customer service and follow-up were top notch. He listened and got things fixed for me.

I asked Gary where he learned his skills...he said that he learned when he worked for Enterprise Car Rentals. This explains his excellence...Enterprise has top notch CS training, and their staff gets head hunted regularly.

FYI. My issues were quite a bit smaller than yours though.

https://www.nsford.com/staff.aspx

PS...my experience with their new car sales department was 180 degrees different...it was awful...zero follow-up.

Best of luck with your tranny.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started having transmission problems about 6-9 months ago. Transmission always shifted hard at times. And would have a little delay in shifting. About 6 months ago truck would down shift to 5-6th gear going 80 down highways all in its own. It would also loose gear on freeway and was like being in neutral then catch 10th and slam into gear really hard. Took truck home. Was leaking transmission fluid under truck.
First time for dealer said seal was bad and fluid was low. Replaced seal. Then took it back again and after several
Times driving it they tore down transmission and rebuilt it. Said metal shavings and parts where touching.

So just got truck back and drive it 4 hrs on highway 70ish outside temperature. And transmission is getting hot almost to red on gauge. Then after slowing down transmission cools. Pulled over smelt transmission fluid burning. Look under truck and see transmission fluid leaking on exhaust and smoking.
fix my issues?
I love my truck. Hate transmission. And hate that ford will only attempt to look at it if the problem can be recreated with them.
Thanks. Eric.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. From what you've said, it sounds to me like the dealership's service department workmanship is the root cause.

When a transmission is experiencing a performance issue or DTCs and metal filings are found, 2 procedures are required. The first is the torque converter must be REPLACED. The dealer can flush a torque converter that has been contaminated with clutch material, but they cannot flush metal filings. The second thing is the transmission cooler must be flushed using a heated flushing machine. The machines are made by G-TEC and have multiple filters to ensure that the cooler and lines are completely clean of all debris. If a non-Ford recommended flusher is used (especially non-heated) the thermostat in the line won't open and the cooler will never be cleaned of debris. The metal debris will then re-enter the transmission and cause a repeat failure.

You do not need an aftermarket cooler to resolve this issue; clearly this is a dealership workmanship problem. Do you still have your Repair Orders from the dealer? Review the procedures performed and see if they line up with the information I provided. Either way, the dealership needs to be held accountable for their repair. Repeat repairs are dealership paid, not warranty.

OP
OP
E

Ericgulf

Reaction score
Great advice. Thank you.
I scheduled service at ford for the 23rd.
I’m going to look over my work order tonight and see if those procedures where done.

andris

Reaction score

fix my issues?
Thanks. Eric.
Had the same issue had the trans pan seal and trans pan replaced 4 times now I have 33k on my 17.

OP
OP
E

Ericgulf

Reaction score
Damn. I love my truck.
This transmission crap is killing me.
You would think a 70k truck wouldn’t have transmission issues at 40k miles.
And dealership seems to be clueless.
And won’t even look at it unless the truck will have same issues with tech driving it.
And my truck runs ok for short periods.
It’s at the 1 1/2 - 2 hr mark it seems to start acting crazy and getting hot.

Ray Knight

Reaction score
My 19 had the 3 transmissions replaced before the 1st oil change. Similar issues but without a leak. Shifting into 1st on the highway doing 70, slipping BAD between shifts, etc. Seemed all electrical. My 17 was perfect with 23k miles. The 19 i had to get rid of it. No way i was going to continue driving a brand new truck i iould not trust. I loved that one too. I'm staying away from the Ford 10spd until it gets some significant updates. I trust it until it breaks once. Then replaced with rebuilt warranty parts and its never right. I wish they made a manual trans version!