Transmission issues/observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Raptor which has the issues listed below. From reading other threads I suspect I should have the adaptive tables reset, or a software update done again (was done 2 years ago per TSB 18-2079)

The below observations re: throttle blip are interesting....

•Transmission clunks/rough shift (has gradually worsened within last 2000km)

...Driving around easy 0-50 km/h
  • rough shift 2nd to 3rd (1st to 3rd is smooth)
  • rough shift 4th to 3rd (5th to 3rd is smooth)
  • 5th gear behaves the same as 3rd...adjacent shift up to, and down to 5th are rough.
....Shifting from park or neutral to drive clunks/rough shift
  • Start truck, shift to neutral
  • pull into Drive = abnormal clunk
  • back to neutral, then D = clunk
  • Back to neutral, blip throttle, any amount, 50 or 500 rpm, wait 2 seconds or 2+minutes..then D = smooth.
  • Back to neutral, no blip = clunk.

OP
OP
bailer

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my transmission issues....
Took the truck in for service and gave them the list of issues. They test drove the truck and are going to open up the transmission tomorrow.

I kind of hope it will be a full replacement, but just glad I am getting it addressed before the 5yr powertrain warranty runs out in March. The truck only has 45,000kms of mainly easy city driving.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shift feel will always vary between ratios because the transmission is applying/releasing multiple different components with each shift to achieve the desired ratio, there are no actual “gears”. The definition of a “rough” shift is also very subjective.

If the TSB has already been applied, there are no later software updates. The dealer should not be removing the transmission; the first step is to drop the pan and remove the main control for inspection. Each valve must be removed and inspected for excessive wear, scoring, or binding. The shift solenoid pins should also be inspected to verify they aren’t sticking. If an issue is found, the main control can be serviced/replaced and then re-installed without ever removing the transmission from the truck.

OP
OP
bailer

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shift feel will always vary between ratios because the transmission is applying/releasing multiple different components with each shift to achieve the desired ratio, there are no actual “gears”. The definition of a “rough” shift is also very subjective.

If the TSB has already been applied, there are no later software updates. The dealer should not be removing the transmission; the first step is to drop the pan and remove the main control for inspection. Each valve must be removed and inspected for excessive wear, scoring, or binding. The shift solenoid pins should also be inspected to verify they aren’t sticking. If an issue is found, the main control can be serviced/replaced and then re-installed without ever removing the transmission from the truck.
Thank you for your feedback. The truck has just now been delivered to a transmission shop the dealer uses.
The dealer’s take on the symptoms is they are definitely out of the ordinary.

I think I’m gonna stop in and discuss your points with the transmisssion shop.

OP
OP
bailer

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my transmission issues..

-The transmission shop called today to let me know they had completed their work and the truck is heading back to my Ford dealer for some other work (Water pump and new battery). He said it is operating properly now and the rough shifts are gone.
-The transmission tech said he pulled the pan off and it was perfectly clean, no debris, so they didn’t have to go real deep. They pulled the valve body, inspected and replaced the solenoids with current spec parts and put it back together.
-He said solenoids hanging up in all the ZF transmissions is quite common.

Im quite glad it sounds like an easy, straight forward service, and that they didn’t have to pull the transmission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update on my transmission issues..

-The transmission shop called today to let me know they had completed their work and the truck is heading back to my Ford dealer for some other work (Water pump and new battery). He said it is operating properly now and the rough shifts are gone.
-The transmission tech said he pulled the pan off and it was perfectly clean, no debris, so they didn’t have to go real deep. They pulled the valve body, inspected and replaced the solenoids with current spec parts and put it back together.
-He said solenoids hanging up in all the ZF transmissions is quite common.

Im quite glad it sounds like an easy, straight forward service, and that they didn’t have to pull the transmission.
Sounds like you will be a happy owner soon again!

OP
OP
bailer

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So… I have my truck back, 10 days total time for some small stuff at Ford, and then the transmission work.

The truck shifts perfectly now, and also pulls into gear smoothly.

Reviewing the work order, it looks like they dropped the pan, pulled the main control unit, and replaced part#HL3Z7A100B, also noted the core charge/credit. Also oil, screen and filter were listed.

I was considering ignoring the problems but am extremely happy it was addressed so successfully.

All the work, transmission, water pump, pinion seal, and recalls were done under warranty, plus they gave me a car wash coupon! That’s the way it should be!

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
All the work, transmission, water pump, pinion seal, and recalls were done under warranty, plus they gave me a car wash coupon! That’s the way it should be!

Good customer service isn’t difficult and is rewarding. Not only do you feel better about how you treated a customer when you deliver good customer service, you make a potential return customer or add “vendor points” to their potential loyalty. The consumer so treated will remember good customer service in future purchasing decisions.

It amazes me how frequently we see service departments that seem uncaring at times. I know not every customer is easy to deal with but it really doesn’t hurt to try.