Transmission deemed cooked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bumpngrind

Reaction score
Ford Tech to correct you the truck was purchased in 2019 as I indicated it actually had 48 thousand miles on it you're right no way of knowing who did what to it before however the issues posted on many different social media related and search engine websites are a little too common to be just a coincidence or isolated incident GM appears to be going through the same issue with the same transmission from the partnership of developing it apparently class action lawsuits have taken place
in relation to this transmission

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford Tech to correct you the truck was purchased in 2019 as I indicated it actually had 48 thousand miles on it you're right no way of knowing who did what to it before however the issues posted on many different social media related and search engine websites are a little too common to be just a coincidence or isolated incident GM appears to be going through the same issue with the same transmission from the partnership of developing it apparently class action lawsuits have taken place
in relation to this transmission
The class action lawsuits were dismissed because they were without merit.

When millions of any complex mechanical/hydraulic/electronic component are built there are going to be some percentage of reported issues. Some will be defects, some will be due to abuse or modification, some will be due lack of maintenance. If you search the internet and social media looking for an issue you’re always going to find people complaining, that’s the way it is with consumer products. You can’t draw a conclusion from random people on the internet with zero automotive credentials complaining about what is in many cases normal operation.

OP
OP
B

Bumpngrind

Reaction score
Valid points so bottom line is as a ford tech trolling on the forums for people that have had issues and would ideally be helping those people to work through the issues as opposed to justifying situations but I think I see the whole picture so I wouldn't take it to personally but There are issues I'm experiencing that are real and I'm driving a Kia right now which is not what I am paying to drive those issues are very real I hope you understand. In addition I also read that the lawsuits were dismissed and didn't have a location of issues when it happened and other things so it's hard to go up against the big company on a lawsuit but you have to wonder how many things have happened to create the lawsuit in the first place there are core reasons. I'll ask you a more pointed question , how long does Ford and or yourself or anyone in your position expect these Transmissions to run in general 40000 Mi , 80000 , miles a hundred thousand miles, just to have that knowledge would be helpful for us to understand when we should expect major issues and when we should expect to sell the car before it fails
Enough said

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valid points so bottom line is as a ford tech trolling on the forums for people that have had issues and would ideally be helping those people to work through the issues as opposed to justifying situations but I think I see the whole picture so I wouldn't take it to personally but There are issues I'm experiencing that are real and I'm driving a Kia right now which is not what I am paying to drive those issues are very real I hope you understand. In addition I also read that the lawsuits were dismissed and didn't have a location of issues when it happened and other things so it's hard to go up against the big company on a lawsuit but you have to wonder how many things have happened to create the lawsuit in the first place there are core reasons. I'll ask you a more pointed question , how long does Ford and or yourself or anyone in your position expect these Transmissions to run in general 40000 Mi , 80000 , miles a hundred thousand miles, just to have that knowledge would be helpful for us to understand when we should expect major issues and when we should expect to sell the car before it fails
Enough said
FordTechOne provides more diagnostic guidance and information than anyone else on this site, and it's not even close. He is a very valuable resource that contributes in a multitude of ways. Just because you don't like his answer doesn't mean he's wrong. And the gaslighting is ironic, considering you are the one trolling the forums pretending to be part of larger problem because your truck had an issue.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Enough said
Nobody likes it when their vehicle breaks down, and we always get frustrated taking it to a dealer if we don't like the answer we were expecting. Transmissions have been around for a century or more now, the automatic, almost a century, they fail without notice, the more modern transmission you have the more likely you are to get a dtc or something to let you know something is wrong or a failure is imminent. Bottom line is these are mechanical pieces of equipment, they can't talk yet, soon they will though and let you know ahead of time, but normally these transmissions will last a couple hundred thousand miles with maintenance, I'm at 150,000 miles and haven't done a thing to my transmission, and it still runs strong. There's no conspiracy going on here, it's just a broken part, get it fixed and have a cold beer.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else but for me personally, I'd be ecstatic that my 3rd party warranty was putting in a new transmission and I got a rental car. All vehicles have problems. Maybe you were unlucky, maybe there was an issue in production, maybe the previous owner abused it, maybe you abused it. At the end of the day, it's getting fixed under warranty. Maybe my perspective is all wrong.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
My transmission on my 2019 at approximately 27,*** miles basically disintegrated, whatever you want to call it, completely failed.

I'm the original owner, no tune, no aftermarket products that could affect the complete failure I experienced.

I know for a fact that I never did a single burnout, or mistreated my transmission in any way. If anything, it was treated respectfully not to say I did get on the throttle once in while.

Ford replaced it with a new transmission from the line, so I was told, with any updates that may have been built into it at that time, they did state they updated the ECM and TCM software to the latest available at that time.

It shifted better than stock ever did although it seemed as though I lost very slight power at the upper speeds,, 80-85 but picked up noticeable get up and go at lower speeds.

About 1,*** miles later after driving it spiritedly down a several miles long winding downhill drive while keeping the rpms high for better vehicle control, I noticed the transmission temp. was higher than usual and after getting on the highway I had a hiccup and my transmission felt like it was going to come through the floorboards, it was very hard. I took it back in and tech. stated that they had overfilled it a little and could have been why I saw higher temps and may have been the cause for the hiccup, being overfilled.

They let some out to proper spec. and stated that it drove and shifted like butter which it did after I had let cool down prior to taking it in to the Dealer. If I remember correctly, temps were only around 235 which isn't terribly high.

Now I have approximately 29,239 miles on it and so far it's shifted beautifully and like butter once again.

I do need to repeat that drive once again soon to see what happens and I'm not really sure being overfilled a little could have caused the higher temps and that hard shift but maybe it's possible.

I do love my Ford's as my last two trucks, 2000 F150 4x4 lariat 5.4 Triton and 2014 F150 FX4, 5.0 Coyote didn't give me any issues that could have been an issue from the factory.

These vehicles are complicated and have a lot of tech compared to older vehicles and any mechanical component can fail for many various reasons.

Ford took care of me and although when it happens to you, it does suck. They also replaced my cooler and lines at my repeated request.

Hopefully I don't experience anymore issues with my transmission. I still believe Ford has higher quality than most other companies.

I do so love my Raptor.

Sorry about the long post

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bumpngrind

Reaction score
It's gotten silly sorry to anybody for reporting something that has gone down, seems there's a pretty touchy crowd around in forums these days. I am a true troller as I don't want to post a bunch of unnecessary crap on a constant basis thought this was newsworthy or worthy of letting other people know, plain and simple

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Chances are good that the original owner proactively "serviced" the transmission and under/over filled it. I have read several instances of this. Tranny crapping out after being serviced, when by the book/miles, service wasn't even required. The dipstick is not easy to read, for me anyway, and it's a pain to get to.

If you had purchased the truck new, your statements would hold more weight. Just my thoughts.