Transmission Adaptive Learning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. When you clear the adaptive learning are does your transmission enter the break in state or does it essentially reset it and turn off the adaptive learning altogether?
I used this procedure

NOTE: Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle on a level road surface.

2017 F-150

Procedure revision date: 04/26/2019

1. Using the scan tool, clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and Transmission Adaptive Tables.

2. Drive the vehicle until the engine and transmission reach normal operating temperature.

3. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that upshifts 1st through 8th occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.

4. Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51- 61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.

5. Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.

6. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.

7. Shift the transmission to Reverse. Wait 2 seconds.

8. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.

9. Shift the transmission to Drive. Wait 2 seconds.

10. Repeat Steps 3 through 9 six additional times.

© Copyright 2020, Ford Motor Company.

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used this procedure

NOTE: Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle on a level road surface.

2017 F-150

Procedure revision date: 04/26/2019

1. Using the scan tool, clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and Transmission Adaptive Tables.

2. Drive the vehicle until the engine and transmission reach normal operating temperature.

3. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that upshifts 1st through 8th occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.

4. Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51- 61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.

5. Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.

6. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.

7. Shift the transmission to Reverse. Wait 2 seconds.

8. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.

9. Shift the transmission to Drive. Wait 2 seconds.

10. Repeat Steps 3 through 9 six additional times.

© Copyright 2020, Ford Motor Company.
Got it. So you're clearing the adaptive learning table and "Breaking the transmission in" again.

I'm curious if disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes does exactly this? I ordered my forscan tool but I think it couldn't hurt to try the battery disconnect, right? If I were to reset it via the battery I'd start at step 2, right?

Reaction score
This Adaptive learning BS we've been dealing with is now solved. I ordered an OBD Link MX+ and downloaded the Forscan Lite App on my Android phone. Today I sat in the driveway for 1/2 an hour and cleared the Adaptive Learning myself.

The truck drives like it should now.

Amazing that a $99 adapter and a free APP on my phone will free me from the chains of taking this thing to the dealer monthly to get the truck shifting smoothly again. Worth every penny...
@Docked Wages - was this pretty easy to do with the app? i have iPhone and assume it is same or similar procedure. the ODB mx+ is the recommended tool on the app so thats good. are there instructions on the app to only reset the tables? or did you find the instructions somewhere else. thanks so much for this post as i have to have dealer do this every 3 months or so. i do a lot of towing so i am sure that doesn't help my situation.

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Docked Wages - was this pretty easy to do with the app? i have iPhone and assume it is same or similar procedure. the ODB mx+ is the recommended tool on the app so thats good. are there instructions on the app to only reset the tables? or did you find the instructions somewhere else. thanks so much for this post as i have to have dealer do this every 3 months or so. i do a lot of towing so i am sure that doesn't help my situation.
I just went through the process and it was incredibly easy. The hardest part was braking the transmission back in, which is detailed in Solidred's post above.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
This Adaptive learning BS we've been dealing with is now solved. I ordered an OBD Link MX+ and downloaded the Forscan Lite App on my Android phone. Today I sat in the driveway for 1/2 an hour and cleared the Adaptive Learning myself.

The truck drives like it should now.

Amazing that a $99 adapter and a free APP on my phone will free me from the chains of taking this thing to the dealer monthly to get the truck shifting smoothly again. Worth every penny...
i have the exact same set up and its amazing what you can do on your own now a days with a little know how... plus its handy to have in case youre out and about and something goes wrong.

MntBrew

Reaction score
For anyone that is having hard shifting, harsh engagement issues or delayed shifts, have your dealership perform the accelerated main control valve body break in procedure. There are several tsbs addressing shifting issues that cite that break in procedure that is designed to free up sticking shift valves. I’ll update this post later if I can find one of the tsbs.